Friday, 26 August 2005

Hassle with Haloscan

Is it just me or do I detect a more general level of disatisfaction in the blogosphere with what was not long ago considered the epitome of commenting systems....Haloscan?

I resisted for longer than most the lure of it's promise to work well, I tolerated the Blogger comment system for months, back in its days of repeated failure, but finally I bowed to pressure, capitulated and installed Halo heaven....or is it?

I seem to hear more and more negativity with this once considered all singing, all dancing system and I have to admit to finding myself a feeling a little rankled with it these days.

The 'issue' I have with it is this. I pay good money (albeit a pittance of $12 p.a.) for an upgraded version of Haloscan and yet they only show a comment count for what they list as 800 comments. I find that hard to believe, I'm too lazy to actually count but if you go back only two months here, there is no comment count and I doubt very much that I have attracted over 800 comments in such a short time. Yes, if the link is clicked the comments are still there but how on earth will a reader know to click when the counter shows a big fat zero?

The situation is far worse if you run the free version, only 200 comments kept and not even showing on click. They are saved on the Haloscan archive server but are not accessible unless the account is upgraded.

ok, so they have the prized trackback system but how often does that get utilised.....very rarely!

On the other side of the coin the once terrible Blogger comments seem to have ironed out most of their problems and reliablility is now the order of the day.....and they manage to keep and show all of the comments that we 'comment whores' hold so dear (come on now don't deny it).

All of this leaves one with the age old problem, comment loss, but this time in reverse....do we stick with my non-showing comments system or abandon it and lose all those comments forever? We found a way around losing blogger comments when installing Haloscan but save for the copy and paste method I have yet to discover a way to import Haloscan into Blogger! Gah.

What are the crowd thinking?

2 Comments:

Sue said...

I'm with you..I've been thinking of switching back to Blogger comments for some time now, but just haven't gotten my butt in gear to do it (and am scared I'm gonna somehow mess up my template!)

Blogger seems to be stable now, and seems to be the better answer. Of course, if everyone switches back, what are the odds that it's going to cause a whole host of other problems?

gemmak said...

Sue: all thats really stopping me is the loss of my comments and my laziness in not wanting to copy and paste them all. Good point tho regarding what happens to Blogger if we all migrate again....back to square one then perhaps! Oh no! Lol