Monday, 23 May 2005

A very bad idea

Last night, most unusually, PG announced he was off to bed....at ten o'clock, having fallen asleep on the sofa an hour earlier, this from a guy who never makes it to bed before midnight and more usually much later.

Pffft, I thought to myself, I'll be damned if I'm off to sleep at such an early hour given that Monday is my day off and so off he went and I set about amusing myself. I watched a little TV, surfed the blogosphere, tried to un-muddle someone's code a little, ate chocolate and eventually at around midnight, beginning to feel a little sleepy, I decided I might do something I haven't done for an absolute age......visit IRC, just for a minute or two.

A very, very bad idea! Not for the reasons normally associated with IRC, I am a veteran, until last year it was a regular haunt and despite all it's bad press, with the odd exception it was normally fun and interesting, though one does of course have to tolerate a few idiots along the route to finding a good conversation.

And so it was, I logged on, in anticipation of nothing other than the likelihood of logging off again, the addictivness of this pursuit had slipped my mind somehow and the next time I looked at the clock, all ideas of sleeping having long passed me by, it was 4 am.

I staggered off to bed in the full and horrible knowledge that without doubt I would be up again at 6.30 am, when PG left for work, I just don't 'do' sleeping in, I don't know why, I just can't....and now it's payback time, I feel like crap, I'm on cup of strong Java number four, which of course is now giving me a headache and I can't go back to bed courtesy of a small cat who keeps insisting very loudly that she requires letting in, no out, no in again.........

A siesta this afternoon, I think is obligatory!

0 Comments: