Sunday, 27 March 2005

Happy Easter

To you all.




Easter, like Christmas has a way of making me feel kinda guilty, though I admit only slightly. I am not a religious individual, at least not in the traditional sense. In the past I considered myself to be atheist, as I have got older I would have to say I am an agnostic if I had to categorize myself on the question of my faith or lack of it. I suppose I feel there must be 'something' greater and more powerful than ourselves but whether that is a God in the traditional sense I just don't know.

It is as a consequence of these thoughts that I feel a little guilt for celebrating events in the Christian calendar such as Easter and Christmas but along with most others, celebrate them I do. I detest hypocrisy in any form and I suppose I feel a little hypocritical myself in my enjoyment of festivals that in reality are not about giving presents and over indulgence but about something so much more important to so many people.

Despite all this Christmas and Easter are special though for me in maybe a less profound manner. They are days when I hope we have time to think of those we love and can spend at least one day relaxing and enjoying their company, being with family maybe, with friends or in the community doing something in some small way for those who are less fortunate.

My Easter? Well for me, very selfishly, it is special in that it is the only day in the year that the law forbids my place of work to open and hence the only day I am guaranteed to be able to refuse to work. Many years the store still runs a shift for those that want to work but it has to remain closed to the public. This year my boss has amazingly decided against even that, so the pressure one usually feels from above to *have* to work is not there. ......yayyyy for the boss.

Add to that, every cloud has a silver lining, PG, still suffering with his leg (though it is improving) is still off work so this will be the very first Easter day we have had off together since the beginning of 'gemmak and PG'. I doubt we will do anything special, the weather is it's normal damp, yukky English Easter self and we didn't hit bed until very stupid o'clock this morning but we will at least get to spend it together chilling.

So, whatever today means to you.....have a very happy Easter.

0 Comments: