
Catching the winter sun.
Over the last few weeks poppy has been giving me cause for concern again. Her medical history in old age, she is getting on for 18, has been well documented here, so I won't regale you with the details again for fear of sending you into a rapid state of narcosis! Suffice to say she is very old and her kidneys are failing, I dread the day she goes but over time I have (I think) come to accept it. My greatest wish for her is that she just 'falls off' one day at home with us beside her. My greatest fear is that she will die someday when there is no one home with her.
We are due to visit my parents in a week or two and her apparently worsening health has been causing me a deal of worry. I do not want to subject her to the cattery if she is not strong enough but equally I feel she is now too old to do an 800 mile round trip, as used as she is to traveling.
And thus it has been over the last few days I noticed she has lost weigh, seemed not to be eating much and was generally 'out of sorts'.
Again my 'cat worry' happily seems to be premature. This afternoon I decided on taking the fail safe test. I have recently changed her diet slightly in an endeavor to take a little pressure of her old kidneys, so today I opened a tin of tuna......the theory being that if she showed litle interest, as she has in her food of late, then I had cause to be truly concerned.
Whooshhhh...like a bat out of hell, as the can popped open she appeared at my feet looking pleadingly up at me. Tuna was duly deposited in dish as she made a vallaint attempt to clamber up my leg and was in the process of being hungrily devoured before dish even hit floor!
Phew! Damn all it seems is wrong with her appetite, she, as ever cats are, was just being picky and staunchly not eating enough of something that did not appeal........ tuna of course is the food of the Gods and so was treated with appropriate vigor. She sat and ate her way through the entire dish full without a pause!
I am not kidding myself here, I know she could be here for perhaps, if we are lucky, another year but equally I know it is likely to be much sooner. I'm just thankful that for now, one more Poppy worry is over and it looks like she is going to be a happy cat for a little while longer at least.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment