Sunday, 19 September 2004

It's good to talk.

That's another working weekend over with....I have three days of 'playtime' ahead of me now and then four at work! Yes I said four, I am actually going to work almost a full week for once, euchhh! I can't say I relish the thought but there is no avoiding it and the financial remuneration is not to be sniffed at!

The weekend was reasonably uneventful this time, no customers of particular note, no gossip to cause excitement. Last week when I told the story of the customer from hell my description was supposed to be loose enough that the individuals concerned where not recognisable. Hey ho, I failed there. Yesterday a colleague arriving for work greeted me with the opening sentence..."so you had 'Mrs X' in then last Sunday"! Having read the post he knew immediately who I was referring to.... Ooops!

That brings to mind a conversation I had with my boss a week or two ago. I was in his office for my annual appraisal but as I think we both knew it would, the conversation turned to the topic of the sacking incident back in July. I admit to having been somewhat nervous of discussing this situation with him, I had until that point avoided it for fear of reprisal and for fear of inappropriately losing my temper. In the event I was pleasantly surprised. We managed to behave like adults! He had, as I suspected, acquired the URL for this blog ( yes I know where from now but it's not an issue) and had read the posts in question. What surprised me was his reaction....he was for the main part upset that I viewed him as I did and had felt unable to approach him to discuss my feelings.

He and I have some history, we haven't always seen eye to eye but we had in the past worked on that and had improved our working relationship dramatically. This situation had undermined all of that. This was I think the longest appraisal I have ever had and barely did we touch on any performance issues, we did however agree to disagree on the incident in question and move forward.

He, I assume for legal and professional reasons, was not ever going to tell me his side and I for the same reasons didn't want to discuss the specifics. That said he knows I will continue to support the individual in question and respects my decision to do so and I know he disagrees with my opinion.....we will both live with that.

I feel no less strongly about the situation and I will fight what I see as discrimination wherever I can, the colleague involved knows he has my full support but I have to give the boss credit ......I have rarely, if ever, had a manager prepared to listen to and accept the point of view of a minion, or to give up the time to do that.

It's good to be working in a more positive environment again and C.S. if you read this, my apologies for misjudging you.

6 Comments:

magz said...

awwwww... sweetie? NO job should require that much thought, or effort....lessen yer havin fun with it. C'mon schnooks... work with me here (I feel like Richard Simmons, lol!) There IS... a 'way'... I know it. I KNOW it! Let's think outside the box... and use somma this charm n good smarts to use it... chant with me hunny...'i think i can..i think i can I Think I can I THINK I CAN!!!

gemmak said...

I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN,.........Lol :o)

Terri said...

Work, in the best of environments, can be tedious and stressful. In an environment where there is tension it can make your life, at least the part of it you're spending at work, miserable. I'm glad you had the talk and are in a more positive environment. Stuff like that can build and eat away at you bit by bit and is libel to come out at an inappropriate time or in an inappropriate way, if not handled. Not to mention it just makes life a whole lot more enjoyable.

Michelle said...

Ahh yes...not only do we share the "Westminster System", it seems we also share the narrow minded bloody mindedness of middle ad senior mangement. Isn't it funny how these "suits" suddenly gain amnesia when they get to this position in the company. No longer do they remember what it was like to appease the customer..tow the company line etc.

Stick to your principles, YOU know what's right.......let them live with their consequences, at least you have a clear conscience.

Anonymous said...

I like the way this post ended! :)

SidDawgone said...

...He had, as I suspected, acquired the URL for this blog...

I had a similar but different twist to having "someone" read our respective blogs, when I had invited my stepdaughter Alex to read mine, and it was only after she responded with "...WHAT??? Sid died?" did I realize I'd publicly announced news that I didn't tell her first, and two, talked openly about her!! Viva la internet and the whole world's ear! (Glad yours turned out ok,, too!)