This weeks two days in the world of retail was particularly challenging! To be strictly correct it was actually only one day. Saturday saw me ailing and I called in sick, something I hate doing but on this occasion was unavoidable. Sunday was madness.
Anyone who has the misfortune to be employed in this field will know only too well that there is a very definite clash between the need to provide an excellent service and to maintain the approval of shareholders. The two things are not good bedfellows........an excellent level of customer service is difficult in the extreme to provide with the skeleton staffing levels dictated by the need to maximise profits!
In the main I enjoy the high pressure environment and it's challenges though I'm not sure I could cope at that 'pitch' full time as I used to. For 8 hours solid we are at full stretch endeavoring to 'keep it all together'. I wonder at times if some who walk through our doors have any idea whatsoever of what is involved in a modern retail environment. Historically it is considered a job for those who can do nothing more professional, perhaps that used to be the case but it is by no means true in this day and age. Even to operate a checkout in the modern retail environment requires considerable skills in my opinion, but yet much of 'Joe Public' still appears to imagine shop staff are there in the main to be abused and condescended too.
The specifics of yesterdays experience are both annoying and amusing at once. The phrase 'If you didn't laugh you would cry' springs to mind.
First I must explain that this outlet is a very large, self service, warehouse type establishment. We retail, among other things, much technical equipment and are expected by customers to know everything about everything. We are talking thousands of products here and sadly perhaps, the days of small shops where the proprietor was a specialist in his or her field has gone. We do our best but we are not trained technicians, those of us who have been in the business for years have gradually acquired considerable product knowledge and the company provide some training but we are not tradesmen.One cannot recruit specialist staff into a retail environment at the rates of pay on offer.
My job specifically is it to keep the checkouts running smoothly and queue-lessly, to man the front of house desk, from where the rest of the store is controlled during opening hours. I deal with all enquiries, requests for information and process refunds and the more complicated transactions. For the most part of the day I am directing other staff, via a tannoy, to points in the store they are required to be, shouting instructions to checkout operators with problems, along a line of tills, holding at least one phone on my shoulder, dealing with a queue of customers who need my specific attention and trying to complete a pile of paperwork that a computer spewed out overnight. The adrenalin flows freely, if it didn't I would be reduced to a snivelling heap within 10 minutes.
We have a very progressive refund policy that allows for a full, no questions refund within a long period should a customer change their mind. We don't adhere closely to it, rather in the name of goodwill we have a tendency to overlook most of the criteria and refund within much wider limits. Something that in my opinion,having worked in retail security, is only encouraging dishonesty but what do I know?
Against this background you will perhaps understand why yesterday the sight and sound of a particular family walking through the doors en-mass filled me with dread. All shops have them....the people you just know are going to present problems and test your patience and personal communication skills to the limit. This family are notorious to us. They recently emigrated here, are very well educated, financially very comfortable and an absolute pain in the ass. We are not Harrods or Harvey Nicks and yet they demand, very rudely, something akin to an army of personal shoppers. They demand complete attention, require that I recall individual staff members that they prefer to deal with from lunch breaks to serve them, seat themselves at some point in the store and proceed to direct as many of us as they can command to attend to their every whim. Add to that, a large proportion of the goods they purchase they invariably return for refund,up to a year after purchase having nigh on destroyed them and rendered them unsaleable. Yesterday was no different. 27 items in various states of disarray where dumped unceremoniously on my desk along with a pile of very questionably stained receipts, dating back almost a year, with a loud demand that I sort it out.
I know from experience this lady will question my every move, she will check that I am refunding for the correct items, question each and every price, add them herself to be satisfied that I or the technology have made no mistake, she will never have the correct credit card to hand and all the time rattle complaints in my ear! Through out this delightful exchange I have to maintain absolute politeness, remain understanding and sympathetic to her every complaint, listen to her argue with her husband and 30 something daughter (who still incidentally refers to her annoyingly as 'mummy'), take other directions and complaints from said husband and daughter and attempt to appease the by now growing annoyance of a large queue of customers forming behind her.
That is the bit that really angers me.....in the real world surely this woman knows this is a self serve outlet and that she can't or shouldn't demand such special attention, her behavior is selfish in the extreme. She shows an utter disregard for all those other shoppers waiting patiently in her wake, they too need attention but for this lady that is of no consequence whatsoever. For her with her arrogant manner, they are not worthy of any consideration. Each time she walks though the door the majority of staff become embroiled in the scene, despite attempts at escape and for her, the rest can go hang!
Sadly the bottom line is that she spends a lot of money with us and by virtue of that we have to accept her obnoxious visits, I disagree. Those customers that spend less are no less important and deserve our attention just the same. Whilst retail is generally understaffed one cannot staff to unprofitable levels and we can only stretch ourselves so far. We should not be giving special treatment to someone purely on the strength of their spending power but the reality is that we have to.
I'm sorry, but where the f*** do people like this learn such outrageous attitudes?....I just don't get it!
Monday, 13 September 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 Comments:
Totally agree, it's not fair but it goes on and I'm sure it always will. I've found that even perception plays a part, walking in to a store wearing a suit and tie will get me severed quicker then if I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Paul
Indeed. In my day as a biker if i went into a store wearing my leathers it was not unusual to be followed by a store detective.It never happened when i was in 'civvies'...all the more amusing becuase having been in that line of work they generally stuck out like a sore thumb! hehe.
Someone's had a bad day. I hope you've fully recovered, Scottie. LOL!! You deserve credit though. I doubt I'd have the kind of patience required to deal with inconsiderate morons like the ones you describe.
"I'm terribly sorry, madam. But there are other customers here whose needs are just as pressing as yours ... and more legitimate. Good day madam!"
Lol Dale....you could call it a bad day! Generally I like Joe Public tho here it may sometimes not seem like it, once in a while tho someone just drives me demented!
As for having the patience, I'm not normally a patient person to put it mildly, I suppose it is a skill learnt through years of being it that position. I cope better if I am having a 'good day' but I have to admit to occasions where I have very seriously considered the loss of my job worth telling someone exactly how I feel about them! lol.
In the end I play a part I'm payed to pay and like any behaviour it can be aquired with practice.
I am not allowed to say anything along the lines of what you suggested, that that I were. I am only permitted to refuse service if I am being overtly abused and then only in extreme cases.
Standards of service in this country I think needed improving and have been over the years but like so many things it has gone too far, the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction and it has become ridiculous.
Aunt Dr. Magz has two words: "I QUIT!"
Yer perscription is to go next door and offer yer services as a stablegirl. Not only will you develop wonderful arm muscles from brushing horses and woman-handleing wheelbarrows full of muck, but you will never ever ever again have a rude one in your face, without being able to brandish a rake and cause them to step backwards. The worst frustration you'll incur is when a horse drops a fresh pile in your just-raked stall... and i'll bet you can live with that.
peeee essss... imagine the joy of 'bumping into' this family....SANS any obligation to be....'polite'!
Lol Magz you never fail to make me laugh. Oh what joy to 'bump into them sans the need to be polite', a heavenly scenario if ever there was one.....and show me the stable hunny....I'm on my way! hehe
Take your money and shove it up your a** comes to my mind! I feel for you buddy!
I hope the good days outnumber the bad.
One of the most satisfying moments of my life came when I was able to resign from a job of five years to take a chance on a different career path. My boss hated the fact that I was leaving and took pleasure in telling me he'd never recommend me for a position. I told him, I'd never need his recommendation. I never have.
How much worse must her life be than yours, if she has the need to make others share in her misery?
True Willow: The phrase regularly comes to my mind but I have to make a momentous effort to hold my tongue!lol
beFrank: Yers, the good outwiegh the bad really and the real nice people more than make up for the intolerable ones. I hadn't considered she must be unhappy but you have a good point, perhaps I should think of that next time and be more tolerant. I make no promises tho! lol
Post a Comment