
The Scream
When Norwegian artist Edvard Munch produced 'The Scream' It was not his intention that it signify the subject on which I am posting. That said art is many things to many people and this famous pastel has long been one I have felt an affinity too and loved, not only for it's obvious attractions but because strangely perhaps it has always illustrated for me exactly how I feel on certain occasions.
The title of this post does not of course exclude you guys from reading or commenting on what I am about to say, it serves rather as a gentle warning for those of you with a squeamish nature where the physiological aspects of womanhood are concerned, that you may prefer to give this one a miss!
Let me say here, just in case there is any doubt, that I do not enjoy having my life dictated but something completely out of my control, that renders me clumsy in the extreme, causes me to drop anything I lay my hands on, trip over and bump into things that anyone with any reasonable degree of spatial awareness could avoid without effort. I do not enjoy spending days at a time driving like a fool, unable to rationalise and falling apart in a pathetic display of tears for no apparent cause. I do not enjoy my back aching, my legs feeling like they are fashioned from lead, the spots, more bad hair days than you could shake a stick at and a stomach that feels like it has 'gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson'
And so what has caused this rant?...........individuals who blithely say to me and others, 'Oh, you have PMS I suppose' or some similar dismissive comment and expect us to be amused.
Yes it has it's funny side but mostly PMS is patently not funny, this is a condition that many many women suffer for years on end and has a profound effect on their lives. It is the butt of many jokes and a condition that affects all those around the sufferer. I for one would not like to live with me at these times and consequently understand the male jokes and aggravations in dealing with a woman who most of the time is a normal human being and then suddenly becomes mildly insane.
What concerns me more is the apparent lack of understanding in some quarters. PMS it seems is not an excuse to take time off work, to under achieve on occasion, to cause erratic behavior or to prevent one attaining goals. Well no you are right it is not an excuse it is a reason and a valid one. Those who are lucky enough not to have to arrange their lives to some degree around this particular female peculiarity, and I include women not only men here, should perhaps take a moment to consider the impact such disruption might have on their life and the difficulties it would cause.
Unfortunately this is a state that if one has not experienced it is probably very difficult to imagine. It is pain and mental confusion that I can't equate with any other, it has foibles all of it's own and has been used as a successful defense in murder trials, not I add thankfully, that I suffer to that extreme.
Some may consider this not a subject to be posting on but I do not apologise to those people for doing so. This is the 21st century, I am proud to be a woman and menstruation is an inherent part of my femininity. Thankfully we are no longer hidden away and considered as 'unclean', save for one or two cultures an religions.
I don't want for the women among us who know only to well about what I am talking, sympathy or platitudes, just a little tolerance when we display these strange changes in behavior. I can accept and even laugh at the jokes if you laugh with me not at me. I don't want to use it as an excuse I just want a little consideration.
And so why 'The Scream'......despite it not being the artists intent,in fact the 'screamer' is a man, this image captures for me, far better than my words ever could, precisely how I have felt for a quarter of my adult life!


10 Comments:
wah...hahaha! been there, done that. Even got the stupid T-shirt that sez "caution! Approaching Menopause Zone.." lol what i hate (an i'm guessing it must be an americanism, is the guy who listens to ANY complaint or rant, no matter how legitamate it may be, and furrows his brow while announcing in a pusedo-concerned voice... "Ooooooh, you must be.... On the Rag... huh?" grrrrrrr.... take 2 midols and call me in the mornin red!
ty!
On a lighter note, that picture always reminds me of when I used to take my elder daughter out for practice when she was learning to drive! She hasn't improved much since then either! :)
On a more serious note, I can't say I have suffered from PMS as such. My main problem, after the birth of my youngest, was 3-day migraines every month. My doctor, male, but in all other areas, very good, would never accept that these migraines were hormone related and it took a long time and much persistence on my part to get medication that went anywhere near alleviating the problem. I might add that I only ever missed work on about 3 occasions because of it. However, light is at the end of the tunnel because, since the menopause, which I tended to see beforehand as a negative development, I have never looked back - no more extremely heavy periods, no more migraines! It has been very liberating in many ways! So, I would hope that when the time comes, things will improve in a similar way for you too. Of course, as with everything, if men suffered from PMS, there would have been a cure long ago! :)
I've just writtena long comment and it doesn't seem to be appearing! Will check later and if it still hasn't appeared, I will redo it. :/
Magz: It's not an Americansim...we have the same 'pleasant' phrases here :o/
Jenny: Your post appeared fine :o) My sister had a similar migraine problem after the birth of her child and similar struggles to sort it out. I look forward with glee to the menopause, very liberating I imagine!
I was going to post something and try to be funny, but instead I'm just going to slowly back away from the computer.
I had the same problem until various issues forced me to switch from the Pill to a coil (IUD). With the latest generation coils, your periods stop - and so do the PMS symptoms. While being free of the symptoms was terrific, I can't tell you how wonderful it was also to be free of periods. I have now had the coil removed so I can get pregnant, and my periods (etc) have started again, and I cannot believe women go through this every month if they don't have to. It might be worth speaking to your doctor about this?
beFrank: you are just so funny man....really cheered me up,I laughed so hard at that.
Anon: Thanks for the advice, it is something I have never considered before from that point of view, only from the point of view of contraception and anything that would deal with this problem would be a godsend. Thanks again.Hope all goes well for you.
Gemmak, I was totally in a different space when I saw this post. I teach art and Munch is one of the artists I feature in my curriculum. When I started reading your comments I had to go back and look at the title . . . ooooohhhhhh I see. Totally understood. Action man knows to back away - he's good about that.
Wow....I would love to work in art in some way but my knowledge of it is only very ameteur. AM's comment on this post made me laugh so hard, your guys sense of humour is spot on!
One of the many reasons I love him so much --- he keeps me laughing!!!
Post a Comment