Thursday, 1 July 2004

Yes, I'm a pariah.

So here's one that never fails to induce strong emotion and opinion in people.....and I'm no different!

I noticed in the news yesterday that our current 'illustrious leaders' have (stage) managed another 'document leak'..... this time concerning their intent to ban smoking in public places should they be victorious at the next election. No surprise there then, that yet another piece of intended legislation appears conveniently pre election. Forgive my sceptisism but might this just be intended to win over more of the 'politically correct' vote!

As a smoker I am ever aggravated at some non smokers and the authorities ability to assume that because I was stupid, misguided or weak enough to begin this hateful addiction in the first place , it must therefore follow that I also don't have the mental capacity to understand the effects of smoking and passive smoking!!

I would not smoke in the vicinity of others, particularly children and am only too well aware of the effects it has. I do not for one moment doubt the medical evidence and I respect the choice of others to live in a safe environment. What the hell though, has happened to my choices. There are already very few places I can smoke, I have two options, not to frequent a particular establishment or to stand out side like a pariah in all weathers,shamefully feeding my addiction. The reality of the situation for me is that I do the standing outside on frequent occasions, quite pleasant in the summer.....not so in the winter!

I am only too happy as the minority, to be the one secreted away in another room with a massive air conditioning unit for company or to be stood outside. I don't want to endanger other peoples health but I do want a little more understanding from those 'holier than thou' individuals who feel they have the right to judge me for my weakness.

I hate me for smoking, it scares something unmentionable out of me, it frustrates me beyond belief, that as yet it still controls me, I don't control it. Do those people really think I want to die an agonising death??... Well just incase there is any doubt on that one I don't.

These individuals mostly defend their opinions by being 'right' and for 'caring'.....well yes I know they are right but what, tell me is so bloody right or caring about letting elderly hospital inpatients, post operatively, stagger through the catacombs of a hospital, I.V. carts trailing in their wake to stand outside in sleet to have a smoke??? I sure don't see the care in that but believe me, I have seen the scenario, or one similar, many times.

If I was a 'crack head', an alcoholic or indeed suffered almost any other addiction there would be systems in place to help and support me. Not so for the smoker. Yes there are pharmaceutical producs to assist but not the moral or practical support. Yet many professionals believe that nicotine to be as addictive as many other abused substances.

So for those on that particular band wagon, please don't make assumptions and judgments so readily. When you have dealt with a personal addiction, become professionally qualified to treat one, know every individuals life circumstances or attain perfection in your own lives let me know.......... Until then save it eh?

......and for anyone who has beaten this thing..........well done, I have great admiration for you and feel free to beat me up for not managing to be one of your number. :o)

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Grmmak.......
The trouble is.... not evreyone is as caring as yourself, and i for one am sick of being in a bus que only to have the persons in front of me clouding my veiw and poisoning my lungs and skin

there are things that can be done, there is hypnosis, patches, fake sticks

if you must part take in this, and you don't like going outside so as not to poison your fellow man (or woman) or stain their premises with your stick then do it in your own home

gemmak said...

Indeed, not everyone considers their fellow man or woman, hence sadly the possible need for legislation but you appear to have missed my point. Can I assume you have never smoked?

It is interesting also that you have posted anonymously.

Anonymous said...

Now I know that sounds like the above response is from me - but it isn't - although I do agree with them! It was the 'inclusive language' bit that makes it sound like me - I know. Good on you - dear previous responser whoever you are!
Anyway, YOU are not a victim - you still choose to put each and every disgusting stick of poison in your mouth each and every time you do it... (Hello, Gemmak's mum and dad, am I right or am I wrong?) And yes, I do understand 'addiction', I'm going to have a fag outside in my own back garden as soon as I hit 'send'.
Love to all - you never know when we will meet again! Me x

gemmak said...

Re: comment 1, I know it wasn't you number 3, your typing is better!! :o)

You are right, one way or another I/we do choose but it's not necessarily a choice I make happily. I think i'll join you in the garden for that smoke. :oP

gemmak said...

I agree, for the non smoker smoking can be extremely annoying and the smell is unpleasant even to me.For anyone to 'light up' without first asking if you mind is just plain rude and inexcusable. Pubs and clubs present a particular difficulty. Non smokers want to be able to enjoy themselves and rightly so in a safe environment and smokers like myself don't enjoy themselves if they can't smoke. I don't see how in a pub smokers can realistically be segregated so I'm happy to go outside but in clubs inparticular, once outside it's often difficult to get back in. Cinemas and theatres present a greater problem. I can't and wouldn't dream of smoking even if it was permitted but if I endeavour to escape outside I risk disturbing others in my attempts to gain exit. Sad, I'm sure many would say, that I can't enjoy a 3 hour performance or a night in a pub without smoking but that's how it is. Addiction is just that, addiction. The problem is resolved for me by just not going to any of those places sadly.
Unfortunately the problem probably arises from people's lack of consideration for others, on both sides of the fence. Smokers disregard for the effects on the health and comfort of those around them and non smokers, because they have right on their side, giving little thought to smokers. Never the twain shall meet!

One small thought about clubs, how many of the population of a night club, who are concerned about the effect on their health of smoking, are 'out of their face' on 'E' or something similar? Certainly in my professional life where I have supervised many 'under 30's, Saturday and Sunday mornings have frequently presented me with a staff still hight from the night before! Seems kinda contradictory to me but I do appreciate thats only a small number of the population.

And I don't know how you smoke and dance.......I'de be scared of burning someone let alone anything else!