Thursday, 8 July 2004

'Man excuses'

What is it about men?? They have an uncanny knack of coming up with an excuse for all situations.

3 o'clock this morning saw us woken abruptly by the none too pleasant sound of Poppy throwing up, almost certainly in the most inappropriate spot somewhere. She always chooses the white rug or the bathroom so that in the unlikely event that we miss the actual event there is a nasty surprise waiting as one of us pads, barefoot and bleary eyed first thing in the morning.

Now, the clearing up operation normally falls to me, how lucky do I feel? I'm not sure why it falls to me other than PG isn't keen.........er.....hello? this doesn't rate as one of my favorite pastimes! So the normal conversation began,

'you do it' (in my best pathetic voice)
PG 'no'
'please' (a better quality of whining this time)
PG 'no'
'pretty please'? (bring on the sad and pathetic tone)
PG 'NO...I have to get up earlier than you'
and? (the 'so wot' tone comes into play)
PG 'you know I can't deal with that stuff'

At this point I must add he works with severely disabled adults who require 100% care.

'Go on, please, just this once' (more pathetic)
PG 'NO, you do it'
Why should I do it?
PG 'you always do it'

Not his best excuse from where I was lying!

'So why can't you this time'?
PG 'because I do it all day every day and you know I don't do cat puke'

Hmmmmm........so you deal with the less pleasant aspects of your job but not cat puke....somehow that struck me as a 'man excuse' so I dug my heels in....

'NO' (tempers fraying at this point)
PG 'expletives deleted'

Amazing, he gave in, got up and duly completed the task amid much crashing, banging and colourful language.

And guess what, 10 minutes later he arrived back in bed, still alive and none the worse for wear........strange that! :o)

As for Poppy...she was by now fast asleep on the end of the bed and ignoring the fact that this had anything whatsoever to do with her! :o)

1 Comments:

Jennytc said...

Ofcourse you don't get this sick problem with dogs! Just hair all over the furniture, your clothes, the carpets, everywhere!
Agree about the men though!