So a few people read my posting yesterday and the input I received was mostly positive. I'm not the most read blogger to put it mildly (827 hits in approx. 2 months as opposed to Non-girlfriend who I happened upon this morning and has managed 1430 in July alone!....how does she do that?) but I did manage one or two comments, emails and IRC conversations on the subject.
Among these I began to get the feeling that one or two individuals where 'warning me off', nothing heavy (as yet) but the usual 'don't get involved, it's not your fight' sort of warnings.
I'm sorry but once in a while a situation is just too important to me. It may not be directly my fight, I may end up unpopular in some quarters, make one or two enemies or perhaps worse but is prejudice, of any kind, not morally a battle we should all fight???
This particular incident may or may not be proven, it may or may not even 'go the distance' but is not even the suggestion of prejudice worthy of investigation and support?
If I over simplify this case two things 'hit me right between the eyes'.
1. If the individual concerned was sacked for 'not being up to standard', as has been suggested to me by one colleague, why was that not the reason given?
2. The perpetrator of the alleged homophobic incident is still employed.....the victim of it is not! My understanding is that homophobic behavior is contrary to our laws........wild hairstyles are not. There seems to be some discrepancy here to me, perhaps I'm missing something?
I am no angel, I am as selfish as the next person but I just can't stand by and say or do nothing in some instances. I wish sometimes that I could but I can't.
Thursday, 8 July 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment