Friday, 8 April 2011

Can anything else go wrong?

The answer to that is a resounding YES!

Wouldn't you just know it.

I don't know right now if I am more angry, disappointed, worried or just plain scared but mostly I just feel completely floored.

This of course concerns my imminent and necessary move of residence. I have maybe six to eight weeks left until I have to actually move from here and as my last post illustrated it hasn't been an easy task finding somewhere I could even remotely hope to afford.

However, after months of my brother and myself doing much hand wringing, brainstorming, manipulating of figures and plotting and planning we were almost there. In fact probably literally only a few weeks from my having my very own tiny home, some privacy, some self esteem, somewhere to call my own (in so much as renting can ever be) at last. I was so excited, I hardly dared believe it, it would have been tough financially, no more coffee in Nero's etc. etc. and it would have taken every last penny to keep said roof over my head but it would have been worth it, so worth it.

You will notice I speak in the past tense, for today, out of the blue, I was informed that the working tax credit I was awarded nine months ago is being cut. We are not talking pennies here, we are talking upward of a fifth of my entire income....which when you have no disposable income at all makes the whole thing fall apart instantly. Fin.

I've checked it out, there is no error (other than the minutiae of the bloody legislation in the first place), there is nothing I can do.

I can't really even bring myself to talk about it right now without risking dissolving into tears.

There is no 'Plan B'...we were already at about 'Plan G'.

Fuck...sorry but just FUCK! :(

Oh...and to add to my woes I'm 50 next week and this isn't even close to where I imagined my life to be with half a century gone. I feel very old!

6 Comments:

Jennytc said...

Oh Jane, I am so sorry to hear that. I can only imagine what you are going through right now and I don't have any solutions but I hope there will somehow soon be light at the end of the tunnel for you.

JiCaLu said...

*hug* sending positive vibes to you.

Sage said...

{{hugs}} I know it won't help much but there are lots of us that care about you I hope your plan g and if necessary H, I, J, K etc work out for you... ps turning 50 isn't too bad ;-) xx

Lisa said...

That sucks. Is there perhaps a second job you could take part-time? I know it was difficult enough getting the one you have now. :(

Louizalass said...

I have only just discovered your blog - and may I say that it is wonderful?

Look upon this as a hiccup - a bloody annoying one but just a hiccup.

If you were relying on something so unstable as income tax credit to help pay for your new home then it's perhaps best that the axe has fallen now rather than later when you came to love your new residence.

I'm surprised you are not earning megabucks, since your writing is superb.

Just a thought - have you considered adding a few adverts to your blog? Your page is lovely to look at but maybe a few little ads could boost the coffers?

I also am going through hard times since my hubs was made redundant last year and not eligible for job seekers allowance (or anything, come to that) simply because the previous 2 years NI was taken at Class 2 and not Class 1. Not his fault - but that of the stupid firm he was working for. Never mind that he has paid tax & insurance for almost 40 years! But to help earn a few pounds I was considering setting up a blog and raking in millions through advertising!

Ha! I’ve yet to find something to write about – hence my research on other blogs.

Good luck with everything though! Life can be a bugger but as long as you’re still breathing in and out ….

Gina said...

What about Housing Benefit? Is that likely to help or has that already been taken into account in your calculations?
So sorry life has got so shit for you.