Friday, 24 December 2010

Thank God it's Christmas!

The last few weeks have been pretty tough going in gemmak's-ville one way and another. The pressures on my time between trying function at work, take care of my mum, fit in all the getting ready for Christmas stuff and find time to spend with 'N' have been immense and there have been moments when I felt that all the balls in my personal piece of air might well come crashing down around me.

I discovered that working outside in sub zero temperatures form 5am each day fighting the the snow and ice is very hard work, I feel literally 'assailed' by the elements at the end of it and my love of snow has, I will admit has waned a little on and off. I have landed on my rear on more than one occasion, I have been cluttered up in so many layers I could hardly move, I have spent more time than I care to remember with my now trusty shovel in hand digging either my car or my van out and I have scared myself half to death hitting, black ice late at night a day or two ago and suddenly finding myself doing a rather spectacular 360 along the A40! Luckily because of the time there was little traffic around to avoid and I managed to regain control before I hit anything static either.

I don't recommend it however!

I'm reasonably experienced, I know the 'driving on ice and snow' rules and I employed the given tactics but it happened in a split second and was completely beyond my control for what felt like far too long.

Give me snow every time, it's a walk in the park in comparison to ice.

But hopefully all the hassle is over now for a while. I have twelve days off work, my mother is mainly in the care of my siblings for the next three days and I am spending Christmas with 'N'. It's still all a bit odd without my dad, he was usually the motivating force in our family Christmas's but that's a done deal, life changes and swe have to try to change with it.

All I have to attend to now is the present wrapping issue, I bought cards but they remain unwritten in boxes so my apologies if you usually get one, this year you won't. I have one or two items I need to try and buy later today and then hopefully life will calm down for a few days.


Thank God it's Christmas.....

7 Comments:

Eliza (Fembat) said...

Happy Christmas!

Have a great & prosperous New Year

gemmak said...

Eliza: Wow..ltns, how are you? Wishing you a very happy Christmas too :) x

Jennytc said...

Christmas with N. How lovely! Happy Christmas, Jane and thanks for the ecard. :)

gemmak said...

Jenny: Well 'N' and his mum (I seem unable to escape mums completely) but it will be lovely and hopefully we get a day of two on our own from boxing day :)...and thank you too for yours...have a good one :) xx

Sage said...

Hope you and N have a great christmas break xx Sage

. said...

Merry Christmas!
Hope that you and 'N' enjoy your Christmas and see in a great new year; enjoy the snow ! (hopefully, with a lot less driving -- snow's so much more fun if you can just sit and look out on it, or walk calmly through it... and so on)

Take care there!
Lots of festive wishes
M

Jack said...

Jane,

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo da Italia.

No snow here, but it rains and rains and rains.

Be careful out there, and have a great 2011.

Jack