It transpires that if I could house myself on my current income, which I might add is impossible, and then if I lost my job, the state would pay to keep the roof over my head and the bills paid, at least to a point.
Nothing wrong with that perhaps but consider then that I can't afford to house myself, even in one room but I get no help, no nothing!
Now, whether one believes in the welfare state or not (and for the record I do where it is genuinely needed) this situation seems utterly, utterly stupid!
I work, I pay tax and have most of my life, I do what 'they' tell me is the 'right' thing to do (and again for the record I agree it is the right thing to do) but my mother is expected (yes, expected by the state) to put a roof over my head, at my ripe old age, but if I could find a way while I work and then render myself unemployed then my living costs would be paid.
However, I can't find a way, landlords don't take on tenants who can't pay the rent in the first place, not unsurprisingly.
Jeez. Is it any damn wonder that there are those who will work the system. It just seems all so back to front and perverse to me and the reality is, that without my family, while I work, I would quite literally be on the streets.
Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't think I am!
It makes me angry, really it does!
Meh!
Sunday, 13 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 Comments:
I know where you're coming from! I have a full-time job but get paid only the hours I work, i.e., not a salary. I'm 19 and support myself in a one bedroom flat with no family ties. My rent a week started at £45 and is now at £61. And last week, my boss only gave me 15 hours and I work minimum wage, and not to mention I am meant to be on a full-time contract. You would think that I would get help (not like I haven't asked) with paying things when needed but I barely get any. The water, gas and other suppliers all still expect me to pay my bills on time so the help they give me is by setting me up on weekly direct debits. It's just not possible to pay everything. I am walking around with glasses that need to be updated because I can't afford to pay for new ones. I am what you call a care leaver, so I was once looked after by social services, and now that I am "gone" they really don't give too much thought unless you're one of those who get in trouble with the police and/or are near to getting locked up! Believe it or not, that's where all their money goes. I hinted about my glasses when I had a catch-up and nothing came of it. :( It kinda sucks. But, hey, I should just be happy that I have a roof over my head and a job. The way things are run now are a result of too many people out there abusing the system, and now they've changed it to the way it is. They are looking at everyone as a whole and not individuals! Everyone is different; not everyone are bad people.
I hope you get things sorted! :) Keep your head up high!
Not sure if I'll still be in a job by the end of the year either. If I lose mine I wont get any help with the mortgage and will also lose most of the tax credits I get too. It seems to me too that you only get help if you've never worked and have no intention of doing so.
:( truly a sad thing. i hope all things work out for you though, you've worked so hard to get here!!
what news on the redundy front then? still likely?
Post a Comment