Sunday, 31 January 2010

I've been very bad!

It seems that a lifetime's commitment to a principle and lifestyle I had adhered to for most of my life is beginning to suffer some degree of corruption!

Since I was knee high to a grasshopper I have been vegetarian, not extremely so in that I would eat animal fats and other derivatives.... but dead animals, no way. Just wasn't going to go there. I don't have a problem with others eating meat just so long as the animals life has been humane and it's death the same. I'm not a fool, I just know that my views are mine and not those held by the majority and to try and impose them on others by way of nagging or 'whittling on' would be pointless and inappropriate.

However, after almost forty years, circumstances have gradually evolved which have made it harder and harder to adhere too, health issues, practicality for my mother, who insists on always cooking for me, and one or two other things mean that over the last few months I have been 'testing' the occasional piece of what was once fur covered and walking on four legs.

It's been kind of difficult, I have to make quite an effort divert my mind and if I lived on my own I wouldn't entertain it but last night, having dinner at my brothers, there seemed to be something of a worrying development. I almost enjoyed some of this....


I shall blame my brothers corrupting influence! This is not good!...but actually it was, dammit! I need to get a grip again!

6 Comments:

Jennytc said...

Probably my eyes, but it looks like a giant centipede! ;)

Mr. Nighttime said...

MMMmmm...for a card-carrying carnivore such as myself, that looks delicious. I'm on my way over for dinner right now... ;-)

Silverback said...

Never mind YOU getting a grip. I'd love to get a grip....on that delicious looking slab of ribs. Yum yum yum.

If veggies were made of meat, I'd be a vegetarian.

Zed said...

You ate meat when you visited us, Missy. But that meat looks fantastic.....

gemmak said...

Zed: Lol, I did didn't I...and as I recall that was yummy too! See, my decline began sooner than I remember, 'himself' did attempt the corruption sooner but I went back to my old ways when he became 'absent'! heh.

Silverback: I think it was most of a cow!

Mr.N. There's some left, feel free ;)

Jenny: Lol...it does a bit, sorry, the pic was taken on my less than impressive phone! ;)

cha0tic said...

It sounds like you're not sure why you're a Vegetarian. Or that you've forgotten why you became a 'Veggie'.

I've got a pal who's a vegetarian because he worked in an abattoir. He knows why he doesn't eat meat. Although he says that he would eat meat if he absolutely had to or if he'd had to kill it himself.

I have another pal who became a Veggie, then a Vegan because of 'Save the Planet' style food politics. She's now Veggie as travelling for her job made being Vegan difficult. She accepts the compromise. The important thing is she understands why she made each choice.