The words in the title of this post were those left by a friend on my Facebook page in response to the news that my father had died.
Just three little words but somehow they completely summed up how I felt and still feel about what has happened over the last few months.
"There it is"....simple, there was nothing more anyone could do.
The situation was almost intolerable for all concerned, not least of all for my dad and when it was over, as he died with my mum and I holding his hands and my siblings talking gently to him there was nothing really left to say. The culmination of almost two years of fighting was over. It was done. We had done all we could, he had done all he could, the cancer boffins had scratched their heads and done all they could and as I sat there not quite knowing what to do next, had I had the words I think "There it is" would probably have described best how I felt at that moment.
There was no fear, no desperation, no hysterics, it was peaceful, it was a gentle letting go and there were no words, just a strange sense of acceptance and of numbness, a feeling of "there it is", after all the pain and fear and fighting it was over......
Wednesday, 2 December 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 Comments:
So sorry for your loss. Big hugs and love...
It sounded from what you wrote that it was a peaceful surrender, and while not fully accepted by all it brought you all together {{hugs}} xx
This brings back thoughts from 5 years ago when we walked the same experience:
"and the clock ticks on,.... where it leaves souls to ponder, and others at rest, the clock ticks on....
Know where you are coming from, I lost my mom to Cancer a few years ago, she to died in her sleep with me and my two sisters and dad around her, telling her it was time to stop worrying about us and let go. I alway think in the end she had a nice death, she was surrounded with love, just like your dad was
Honey, its the most nastiest horrible thing a person can have, TP is now with me mum lookin down on the world n having a giggle at what we are doing day to day, my thoughts r with u n ur family, if u need anything just give us a shout, sending u big huggles xxx Debbie xxx
Post a Comment