Tuesday, 28 July 2009

One small step!

Ok, so those of you who have loyally visited here over the years will already know my dire financial situation, for those who are new, I was declared bankrupt a few years ago thanks to an ex in the main, ooops did I say that out loud? and discharged early at about eight months, for 'conducting my affairs suitably'.

Bankruptcy, for those who might think it is the easy way out, is not, far from it, in fact it has caused me more difficulties on a practical level than most other things I have come up against and on an emotional level it's not a great boost to one's self esteem!

Being discharged makes precious little difference in real terms, my credit rating is shot for at least six years and my ability to rent or buy a property is almost zero via legitimate channels but today I had a small breakthrough, well for me it felt pretty big I have to admit!

Today, ta da, my bank finally reinstated my debit card, at last I don't have to carry piles of cash everywhere, I can shop online, I can shop in Tesco (or wherever) without having to add every damn item up and I no longer have panic that if I lose concentration at the petrol pumps and squirt too much gas in the tank I'm not going to have enough cash to pay with!

Believe me, in my little world this is a significant step forward and I almost feel like a normal human being again! Well, for now anyways, before you say it!

Oh...and it's not often I have had cause to thank a banking institution in my life but a big thank you to Barclays, who were the only bank that would entertain me when the going got really tough!

You rock guys!

5 Comments:

lom said...

good old Barclays, they have been fair with us too

LizSara said...

In a funny turn of events Barclays were the reason i almost had to file 8 years ago because they were totally unfelixable and awful

smidge said...

Congrats, i just got a switch card again after my ex nearly bankrupted me too by defaulting on our house. Its a good feeling!

Daisy said...

Hooray for you! Each step takes you closer and closer to being exactly where you want to be in your life!

Anonymous said...

good old Barclays! LOML used to work for them so we have lots of ex-staff perks!
aside from that - good to hear you are on the up!