Hell...it's all birds here recently, I promise you I am not turning into a complete with anorak fully blown twitcher!If you are one of the loyal souls who has been visiting these parts for some time you may remember, in the days of the white van from hell, that I regularly 'visited' a lady swan who spent weeks sitting on a nest that sadly contained no eggs.
Well, with my current lack of things to do I decided a few days ago to drive over to her spot in the knowledge that she has used the same place to nest for a number of years, just to see if she was there again....and sure enough she was. Her magnificent nest in precisely the same place and with her sitting atop it. Were there eggs this year I wondered?
I sat it out, I stayed with her for well over an hour and eventually she felt the need to shuffle about and stand up momentarily, allowing me a sight of five or six beautiful, big white eggs!!! This year it seems her endeavours will not be in vain and her patience will be rewarded with a rather large family :o)
I will of course update here as things progress.

(Images clickable)


4 Comments:
Was walking along the canal and saw a magnificent swan doing the same sitting it out game, although no time to check egg situation. Saw a Mummy & daddy duck with a brood of lovely ducklings. However, was distressed on walk back at dusk to see one duckline cheeping and swimming desperately around trying to find Mum! Hope he found her!
How exciting! You'll be a swan auntie! x
Hooray for mama-swan!
How lovely! There's something special about swans.
Post a Comment