Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Bands, boats and burning

What began as a completely event-less weekend in gemmaks-ville turned into something of a hectic time in comparison to my usual lifestyle at the moment, which mostly only involves sitting in Neros, looking for work or reading a book in the park!

Saturday was the same, Neros, Park yada, yada but Sunday the opportunity suddenly arose to rush up to the midlands at the last minute with my brother and his daughter, to a small music festival at which my niece was fronting a band....no we aren't talking recording deals here, at least not yet at any rate but they were pretty good, much more so than I had anticipated, as were most of the acts and we had a really good day.

This however is where the 'burning' in the post title comes in! Sun!? We don't do sun here in the UK on a bank holiday, but we did this weekend and I of course was completely unprepared and having spent most of the day sat in a field with no available shade, I returned home at night looking like a small lobster with the added attractive addition of heat rash!

Monday it was decided that myself and my parents would visit a local canal festival,
this I have to admit was not high on my list of 'things I desperately want to do with my day' but it turned out to be a real fun afternoon. A much bigger and better organised event than I had imagined and including a jazz band, all the expected brightly painted narrow boat malarkey, all the typical old fashioned English summer fete stuff but also much in the way of animals, (albeit intended for children I of course snuck in) and falconry displays....gimme animals and birds and I'm happy!

It was of course another sunny day and I was of course again unprepared....more pink-ness and more heat rash.....bugger and ouch!

So, whilst some of it might not have been things I would have chosen it turned out to be a pretty good weekend in lots of ways and doing something beats the hell out of what I usually do, which is mostly damn all. I did manage however to contain my excitement some!

(Apologies for the crap pictures...as I said, completely unprepared!)

6 Comments:

Snowbabies said...

Hi Hun, looks like u had a great weekend :o)

Sage said...

Sounds like a good weekend, weather and happiness combined.. though commiserations re: the sunburn.. not fun at all.

Anonymous said...

it'll turn brown in a minute! won't it?

Silverback said...

Looks like typical Bank Holiday traffic came to the canal system there too !

Glad you had a lovely time - you surely needed it.

Daisy said...

I"m glad you had fun! We have lived in south Florida for years and my Mommie is white as a ghost.

P said...

I got burned in glasgow in mid-April! At least its May now - which is meant to be summer! (Mind you, we didn't get the forecasted good weather up here, boo!)