Ok, so a very different scenario and this time a doctor not a teacher but they too seem be 'blessed' with the 'I'll remember and get you in the end' memory function that my teachers used to have....and just the same I found myself without valid excuse or reason at the point I most needed it, all vestige of assertiveness gone!
So what happened? Well, having been forced by my shingly leg to go to the doctors, something I don't relish despite my quack being a particularly nice guy, and having made it through the consultation, or so I thought, I was just struggling back into my jacket, with my hand almost on door handle to make good my escape when he uttered the dreaded words, 'I think we have something else we need to discuss while you're here don't you'. I knew what was coming, I had been avoiding it since...well since forever but this time I knew I couldn't escape, he had me and my mind raced around for all the well worn excuses....and came up with none as I sat back down.
"I think at your age (ok, don't rub it in mister, I know how old I am I don't need you to rub it in) we (is that the royal 'we' because I don't recall joining in this little gang)need (well actually no, I don't need but I suspect I am going to have too tolerate) to take you off the pill!
One of the sentences no woman never wants to hear!
Noooo, nooooo, please don't do this to me was what I wanted to say but instead, caught like a rabbit in headlights (the man got me when I was down and out with the shingly thing and he knew it) I just sat there and meekly agreed to his heinous suggestion! All my previous avoidance techniques deserted me in an instant.
And so I sat while he regaled me with the list of reasons he was finally forcing the issue (yes, I know and I know he's right but that doesn't mean I have to like it) and the list of 'alternatives' he couldn't offer me for one medical reason or another and then listened further while he had the audacity to ask me if I would 'manage'! Um..he had my medical notes there, he remembered everything else, how did it pass him by that at forty something, to date I have never been pregnant and therefor would perhaps 'manage'!
Does this look like a happy face to you? -----> :o(
Don't anyone dare say 'famous last words'! Ack.


5 Comments:
It sure sucks having to relinquish something thats "worked" and something you feel is right for you :(
In saying this though, i had been on the pill for 10 years without a break prior to us trying to get pregnant. It took us 3 years to fall ( a million tests, both of us were fine ) i still believe it was the pill that prevented me getting pregnant sooner rather than later.
Obviously you don't wish to be pregnant, but my concern for you is what it may be doing to your body after being on it so long.
I dunno, maybe i'm a worry wart.
Did he offer you the option of getting your tubes clamped? I have 40-something friends who swear by the mini-coil?
Hope you feel much better soon! x
So, get your reasons together and go back and tell him you have changed your mind and want to continue with said pill. He will come out with his speech about the risk - you, having prepared for this, will remind him of all the screenings and tests that would detect any of the risks and ask him just to sign the paper. I know that my GP excellent though he is, gets extra dosh for the groups he sets up. I am worth extra money as I am a member of the High Blood Pressure Monitored Group. He ran a batch of blood tests a while back for no reason clearly given and I suspect he got a bob or two for ticking those off on the NHS desired lists of tests.
It is your body. What you do with it is, within reason, your business. Embarrass him if need be - tell him your a raving nympho swinger and REALLY need your pill. Go girl go!
I thought you were going to say he got you on the smoking!
I'm afraid I might hear this same speech soon from my gyn.
Post a Comment