Thursday, 18 December 2008

Back in the saddle soon

It's been over a year since we were out on the road on Eloisa, (for those of you new here Eloisa is our much loved bike, tech. spec. etc. here, an XRV with the full on and off road touring kit) this is not a good situation but time and money meant that she has sat, along with the VFR, outside the flat, falling into a state of disrepair for all that time. This is not good either!

As anyone who has ever tried leaving a bike out in the elements long term will know, they don't much like it and as a result, the bill to get them back in working order is going to be pretty horrendous and likely to make it into four figures. Yet more which is not good.

However
, we have finally managed to gather together the necessary cash and this morning 'Mr Nicebikefixingguy' should arrive with his truck to take both bikes away and restore them to their former glory so that this coming year we can 'go out to play' again and not have to suffer the indignity of holidaying on four wheels instead of two! Yipeeeee.

In actual fact we have no intention of keeping the VFR, once that is fixed it's up for sale (anyone wanting to buy a nippy sports tourer please apply here), it rarely got used and became just another expense we can well do without. Eloise however, she is a whole different story, she is part of the family and has been very sorely missed. Hopefully all the work will be done and she will be back home again by soon into the new year and then, with a little luck and a prevailing wind, we can start to plan our next trip and rejoin the ranks of those who prefer not to be stuck in traffic in a tin box!

All we have to do now is try and stop Fletch working 24/7 so we actually have the time to get out there and then see if I can still manage to squish myself into my leathers!

13 Comments:

Lisa said...

:) Is there room for you with all that stuff? Have fun!

Silverback said...

Never mind photos of bikes, post photos of tight fitting leathers !

Damn did I say that out loud ?!

Ahem, ok, (rapidly changing the subject) nice bike then but do you stand on it or something ?

Unknown said...

Have a great time! Photos please!

Sage said...

SOH and I are off to Normandy in June for the 65th Anniversary of D-Day, we have a week booked at a campsite near Arromanches.. Another BM would fit in as well, why don't you and Fletch come too?

gemmak said...

Lisa: Lol..only just but I have discussed some 'mods' in that area with the guys doing the work ;o)

Silverback: Lol, I had that pic in my header for months...you have a short memory! ;o) Do I stand on it? Well if you like I can but I'm not sure it's strictly legal! ;o)

Johng: LOL...what of?!

Sage: Are you serious? You might end up with company if you are...tho no BM here, assuning of course your meaning of BM is the same as my understanding of it! I'll have a word with himself and see if it's a possibility :o) Incidentally, I can't find an email addy for you, could I have one please? You can mail me at gemmak_uk at yahoo dot com

:o)

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish my riding skills were that advanced already that I could go touring!! im already jealous

Anonymous said...

Sage... Look again... Not a single computer chip required to ride this Bike... ;o)

This is a 'Davidoff Adventure' scent free zone ;O)))

:O))

Nicey said...

Hey hey, I have a VFR there great bikes and yeah mine is the old style VTEC and yeah its sitting on my driveway, untaxed and uninsured...
Nice blog count me in
Laters

Nicey

Sage said...

Only requisite to the invitation is that it is two wheels only, doesn't matter what the variety of bike - ze Germans don't have the majority of travellers - in any case they usually laugh at mine calling it a rubber band machine..lol - don't think it has a computer chip, there wouldn't be enough room :-)

gemmak said...

Silvia: You'll get there, it's just practice....oh and a bit of stamina and stupidity! ;o)

Fletch: Lol @ 'Davidoff Adventure'!

Nicey: Cheers dude, you are counted in! ;o)

Lol...an untaxed and uninsured VFR...that sounds familiar! :o/

Sage: Two wheels? Of course, is there any other way? ;o) Lol @ the rubber band....what is yours? I thought it was a GS??

Sage said...

I have a BMW 650CS, nippy little thing but the GSs are ever so slightly taller and I don't feel comfortable on them and I have got used to mine and his little idiosynchracies by now.

ps - sorry you didn't win the calendar, I wished I had two :-)

gemmak said...

Sage: The GS is not only taller but HEAVIER, I don't blame you not having one! I wouldn't have a chance! heh....but it does have a chip I think *goes to look for a spec to check facts*!

On the calaner, nevermind, it was fun playing as much as anything :o)

Anonymous said...

Love it that you drive a bike!
I've been a Bartender at a biker bar- the Harley Davidson kind and I used to get rides from my friends, but I don't know that I'm skilled enough to drive one. Although I'd love to some day!

I will say though that I do love wearing chaps. I wear them when I ride passenger. Do you wear chaps?