Sunday, 24 August 2008

How did he do that?!

As previously mentioned, next week we are driving to Positano for a family wedding, this is all good, save for one aspect....wedding's require a suitable outfit, this aspect is not good!

Firstly I don't 'do' posh clothes, it's just not my style, I don't like frocks and stuff of the flowery and flouncy persuasion and secondly and more importantly, it's almost impossible to buy 'grown up' attire for someone my size.

Years of trailing around shops getting hot and frustrated has taught me to dislike the whole dressing up carry on, because if you're a size 6-8 and only just five foot tall it just isn't happening...... and childrens size shoes are never what you could call elegant!

But, Fletch insisted that in 35-40 degree heat I just couldn't be dressed in anything I already have (the suit and boot kind of stuff) and consequently yesterday morning decided he was going to 'deal with' the issue.

I was far from convinced that in a village with only one clothes shop catering for the under 70's he was going to achieve anything other than failure but I humoured him and trailed without hope, into the aforementioned store.

I kid you not, literally within 5 minutes he had selected a dress he considered suitable and thought would fit and I was dispatched into the changing rooms, convinced I would re-appear looking ridiculous. I just don't suit dresses, they never fit, why wouldn't he be told!

Wrong....I scrambled into the provided item and looked in the mirror, it fitted like it was made for me!!! There was someone one staring back at me from the mirror who looked like a girl, with flowers!!! Bloody hell fire, where were my leathers? Much to my amazement it actually looked good, despite the fact I wouldn't ever have imagined myself in a flowery dress. Really, the last time I wore a dress I was still at junior school.

So I crept out of the changing room (as you do in that horrible self conscious way) for himself to assess the situation.... thinking only that I could still save the day because there wasn't a hope in hell of finding shoes to go with it.

Wrong again, while I was changing he had also found from somewhere the perfect pair of strappy, girly, heels which were handed to me with the instruction to 'put them on and stop faffing'. I did, they too fitted and were perfect with the dress!!! Done deal, he paid while I got out of the ensemble and home we went.

So, it looks like I'll be wearing a dress for the first time in forever, ok, it's a bit 'hippy' so I don't feel too much like a dogs dinner and it fits like a dream so I won't be uncomfortable but what I really want to know is....how did he do that??

Men aren't supposed to be able to shop for anything other than gadgetry, cars and bikes but from door to door the whole outing took twenty minutes and was a complete success!! Alone I would have spent three days scrambling into ill fitting items and still gone home empty handed!

I'm impressed, though I hate to admit it!

18 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have suggested that he measured you up whilst you were sleeping but since you only sleep for about 18 minutes a day and all of that is from 3pm onwards that's clearly not an option.

Do you remember walking through any dodgy looking James Bond style lazer-type devices recently? Fletch has access to a bewildering array of technology, perhaps he knows Q and they secretly scanned you?

Also, if he knows all this dress-size stuff about you what else does he know that you think he doesn't? Hah!

Kitty said...

Bloody hellfire woman! Can I borrow him for a shopping trip please ;-)

gemmak said...

Punctuation: Lololol.....*thinks over past few days trying to remember any 'strange happenings*
hmmmmm....maybe his car has some strange scanning gadget and I thought it was merely the flash hands free gear!! ;o)

gemmak said...

Kitty: Feel free...if you can prise him away from work long enough! heh.

Daisy said...

I'll bet you will have a wonderful time at the wedding, because things are always more fun when you look and feel pretty! Sometimes I have trouble finding dresses that fit me right. Because even though I weigh just 6 pounds, I have a big, squishy belly.

Unknown said...

Where's the pic of you in it?

Looks lovely! Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

Daisy - lol.. only 6 pounds.. :)

Gem - He did an excellent job. I'm not sure I could balance on the 3-inch heels, though. The dress is gorgeous! You should take him shopping more often (then you would get more new clothes at a faster pace) hehe

Anonymous said...

Ha! Too funny! Knowing you, I know how much you hate dresses, but that one is pretty : )

zoe said...

OMG - I need to borrow Fletch too - I share your dislike of shopping too. That's a lovely dress - now for the pics ...

Wendy said...

My husband is my personal fashion consultant. Every time he puts together an outfit for me, I get compliments. When I dress myself, it's hit or miss.

Jennytc said...

Oh boy, you found a real gem there, Gem, and I don't mean the dress, lovely though it is! ;)

Anonymous said...

That looks like the type of thing I'm comfortable in - with the exception of the girly heels, which I Just Do Not Do. Ever.

Well done, that man! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of MAN shopping... See it, like it, buy it... You actually added an extra step and tried it on!!!

Ciao Ciao

Wendy said...

Sure, Fletch, that works most of the time, but it's damned annoying when it comes time to shop for birthdays and Christmas. I've had to tell my husband to 'see it, like it, buy it' except in June and November! Either that, or enjoy your tie collection.

Melissa said...

I've also had good luck when men shop for me. Men are better shoppers than most women realise.

Mr. Nighttime said...

Sounds like Fletch is a frustrated clothing designer at heart. ;-) Pictures! We want pictures!

Debby said...

Wow...could you send Fletch across the pond? Dress was dreamy!

gemmak said...

Mr Nighttime: Pictures...maybe! ;o)