I don't profess to be a 'film buff' and as a general rule here were are not talking the easy watching, chill you out kind of movie, more the heavy duty, turn your head inside out variety. This situation usually results in what we refer to as 'intervals', which are in fact the suitable breaks in running order to hit the pause button and for Fletch to bring me up to speed, because invariably I have 'got lost' somewhere along the line and am sitting with a blank look on my face, have begun fidgeting or fallen asleep!

This brings me to the reason for this post, a recent evenings choice (not mine I might add) of viewing, The Big Lebowski, a 1998 Cohen brothers comedy that did poorly from an economic point of view but got rave reviews from the broadsheet movie critical elite. It always works, give a movie a few high brow crits, let it bomb at the box office and you usually manage to elevate any old crap to cult status!
And that is what this insufferable film amounted to in my humble opinion, to borrow a phrase from our friends over the pond...'what a crock'. There are many movies that whilst they wouldn't be my choice, I have enjoyed and got into but this was not one of them. The plot was ridiculously unbelievable, the 'idiosyncratic characters' were little more than two aggravating, half-wit fools, it was painfully slow and any comedy value was apparently D.O.A.
This opinion caused some degree of 'discussion' in the household well into the night because Fletch liked it, more than liked it! (There's no accounting for taste is there?) but despite any amount of persuasion, explanation or further insight I'm sorry, I don't care if it scores an 8.2 on the internet movie database, a fact that himself wasted no time in showing me as proof positive my opinion is severely flawed. I'm sticking to my 'crock' statement. I just can't see how two lay-abouts, obsessed with bowling and trying to maneuver themselves into a vast sum of cash that isn't theirs can be clever/funny/idiosyncratic or even remotely entertaining!
Am I alone here or am I missing something that should be staring me in the face if only I had the wit to notice it?
Go on, shoot me down in flames!....but before you do check out this link (if you're not easily offended) to a short version, which just about sums up the level of inanity we are taking about here! Hell, I can swear like a trooper, who can't but surely there has to be more to a movie than just that? Maybe the inclusion of something else slightly smarter than just banal toilet humour?.... though I have to say, in all fairness, that wasn't the worst aspect of this 'epic' by a long chalk!


1 Comments:
Here is a review that seems to share your opinion of this enterprise. (Turn the sound down a bit if in a public place!)
From john w - too idle to do the bit below this)
Post a Comment