
I'm not particularly fond of either one of them I have to say, though McCartney's impact on the music industry would be hard to refute and Mills ability to turn a personal tragedy into something apparently positive is quite impressive. A personal liking for the individuals concerned is not what worries me about all this though, rather the fact that here we have to grown people, who are big enough and ugly enough to know better, wasting every one's time and our money fighting over something that should have been resolved with much more ease. Let's face it, within reason whatever sum Sir Paul has to part with isn't going to leave him living under and arch in an inner city and by the same token it is going to provide Ms Mills and the child of the union with a pretty attractive standard of living, even by her recently acquired standards!
It was suggested to me recently that the biggest error in all this was McCartney's stupidity in not having a pre-nup drawn up before said union took place....but therein lies the only aspect of the whole debacle that I have respect for. Perhaps it was purely stupidity that caused him overlook any future 'what if it all goes pear shaped' scenario though I doubt McCartney's legal minions would have allowed him to simply 'overlook' such a thing given his financial standing.
Perhaps he just had faith and trust, however misguided it might appear now, in the woman he loved! Call me naive if you will but that's not a bad thing in my book and I prefer what might be perceived as my state of naivety to the alternative option of cynicism, despite the fact that it has cost me dearly over the years.
Pre-nups have always been an odd conflict to me for whilst I can understand the modern cynics point of view that it is merely a realistic approach, believe me, as twice divorced I know realistic, it has along confused me how a couple can stand in front of an official of a denomination (or not) of their choosing and pledge their intended lifelong love and commitment.... whilst at the same time having so little faith in one another that they feel it appropriate to protect their assets from the destruction of divorce, before the words that should bind them happily of are even out of their mouths!!!
Is there not some inherently very worrying and very sad conflict going on there and does it not say a great deal that is not good about what we have become?
So, whilst I may not be McCartney's greatest fan I do however have massive respect for the man's apparent decision not to allow himself to fall victim to the cynical ways of today's rich and famous and instead take the route that he did. In the event it backfired on him quite spectacularly but his actions say much that is good about the man he is.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment