'gemmak.co.uk' is about to bite the dust.
Still un-gainfully employed and trying to save money I made the decision to no longer maintain my domain and the webspace I have enjoyed at a cost, for years, reasoning that I don't make enormous use of it and the money could be better spent right now.
In the way that things seem to transpire, it wasn't quite as straightforward as it should have been. My initial, um.... 'bright idea' that involved the simple principle of 'well just don't pay the host and the registration guys and they will kill it all off' was fine until I realised just how much I have used it, just how much how much of my blog was hosted there and how many bits and pieces of other peoples blogs were loitering there from the days when it was just easier to host the stuff myself rather than keep opening accounts for others.
Arghhhh.
So yesterday, the whole of yesterday, I spent trying to find where all the odd bits from years of blogging belonged, moving them, putting them back in, making sure no links were broken and mailing those whose sites were about to collapse unexpectedly along with the demise of the domain. Thus far only one has got back to me, I did a redesign on that to make up for her aggravation and finally I think I have my own stuff all safely relocated....save for the few bits of course that are file types no-one seems to want to host for free. What's the issue I wonder with 'ICO.' files? There just doesn't seem to be anywhere that will have 'em!
I'm kinda sad to lose the domain, it's been mine for years and years but common sense must prevail. Doubtless I have also missed something along the way in yesterday's fiddlings and there will be a glaring 'red cross' somewhere in my blog (if you see one let me know!) but on the up-side I have saved myself over £50 and let's face it, I can hardly say my time is worth more right now!
Wednesday, 26 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment