Monday, 3 March 2008

Bill who?

As is the way when one has very limited funds everything presents itself for renewal, case in point, my anti-virus subscription very inconveniently was due to expire tomorrow. Ugh.

I have always run Nortons, not because I think it's particularly good, in fact it's a pain but over the years it has done what it says on the box and not once have I fallen victim to anything nasty, so I stuck with it. However, the renewal cost, as the annoyingly frequently occurring reminder kept informing me was a little over £50.

Every penny counts to my bank account right now so I decided an alternative had to be found and whilst I was considering if I dare risk AVG I came upon something unexpected as I did the grocery shopping....Tesco AV at a mere £20!!

Now, my computer snobbery common sense screamed at me not to go that route but my financial situation fought it well and won and I went home clutching the disk in my hand.

It transpires that Tesco AV is actually Panda Platinum, which whilst it may not be 'top notch' stuff it has protected my fathers system for years without a hitch and he has never had a complaint. Things were looking up.

Installation was easy, none of the faff that Norton always seems to require, the only hitch was in registration....hey, ain't that supposed to be the easy bit with legit S/W? ;o), but three attempts later it worked and all appeared to be hunky dory.

There is of course always something isn't there and in this case it was the bloody usual problem....VISTA/I.E. Wouldn't you know it. Perhaps it's time to rethink the long resisted change to Firefox!

The problem: On trying to open the Blogger dashboard, it just wouldn't, the whole machine became manic with constant attempts to open the page and then abort the action and just about every change to every setting failed to rectify the situation.

And then a shot in the desperation dark.....

The solution: I had Blogger set as a 'trusted site', I removed that protocol and hey presto, it was happy to open it!!! FFS.

Of course, Firefox had no issue from the word go....I really must reconsider my allegiance to Bill!

0 Comments: