Yesterday, as Fletch and I were sitting in the town centre enjoying the sunshine and a cappuccino after an afternoon in the countryside on two wheels a man approached us, maybe 30 or so years old, and asked if we would mind hanging onto his dogs lead for a few minutes whilst he went into the bakery.
I didn't need asking twice, given an option I would 'babysit' the whole of the UK's pets, so there I sat lead in hand having a little doggy chat. The dogs owner was shall we say perhaps a little learning disabled, it was hard to tell quite what his problem might be but he was a friendly guy and wehen he returned to take charge of 'Molly' I struck up a conversation with him whilst he enjoyed his sandwhich and the dog enjoyed a cornish pasty.
Molly it transpired was not his, she bleonged to his friend who sadly was in hospital, aged only 42 facing his last few weeks of life as the result of an over indulgent alcohol habit. It seemed that Molly was soon to become an orphan and this young man was about to become an adoptive parent, despite his own problems....and they were many.
For whatever reason this guy was about to lose his privately rented home, I didn't discover the why's and wherefore's of the situation but he was a quiet gentle chap and I couldn't imagine him being any trouble, he was however not working so perhaps he had been unable to keep up with his rent, who knows. The upshot of this it turned out was that the local authority couldn't house him and so he was in the process of 'practicing' being homeless! In the certain knowledge that he has only two weeks with a roof over his head he had bought himself a single skin tent for £6.99 from a bargain basement store and is living in a field on the edge of town!!!
I know there are people in the world in such dire situations that a single skin tent would perhaps be a luxury but this is not the third world, this is England, what the f*ck is going on here when a guy with limited rescources both financially and mentally is reduced to living in a tent.....and a very poor one at that! Winter is coming for God's sake, he will freeze but no one it would appear could give a damn. He had tried all the routes I suggested, this was a nice guy and whatever had gone before in his life he needed hlep and couldn't get it! Amazingly he seemed to accept his plight without anger or bitterness, to such an extent that he had undertaking his practice sessions in his tent in readiness for the 'big move'.....at least, he said, Molly would help keep him warm at night!
He may not be angry but I am and it kinda makes you count your lucky stars doesn't it, because what struck me starky is that without the support of those around me I could be in the same situation....I can't buy or rent as a bankrupt and the local authority won't house me either. Living with my parents might be difficult at times and I might hate not having a home of my own but at least I'm not living in a freaking tent!
This guy didn't deserve this....no one deserves it in a country where half the population seem to be able to run a car that costs almost the price of a house, an exaggeration I know but hell.....
In the UK in the 21st century this is an outrageous situation and one that whilst I understand the variables is completely unnacceptable.....and very scary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment