Tuesday, 24 April 2007

Thief!

So there I was yesterday, out on the white van minding my own business, when suddenly I was confronted by a thief as I served one of my usual customers!

But this was not the kind of obnoxious thief I have been used to in the past, this was not your average smack fuelled shoplifter with pock marked face and equally pock marked behaviour, no, this was a thief of an entirely different kind.

As I was serving this particular lady customer she suddenly shrieked. At first I wasn't sure what all the hoo-ha was about, she just yelled and moved away from my van.....hell, I know it's a wreck but it doesn't usually invoke such a dire response from those who utilise it's services!

This lady customer it transpired, is afraid of birds (uh? must have seen too much Hitchcock) and had noticed a movement in the corner of her eye that upon a second glance was revealed to be a Robin.

This small bird was merrily inside the back of my van, perched upon a heap of sandwiches as large as life, madly trying to peck a way through the packaging and make off with his booty! :o)

And there it stayed, hopping from sandwich to sandwich without a care in the world, having a quick investigate of a bag of crisps and some Twiglets before going back to the matter in hand....that of robin' (groan) me of a sandwich .

So what did I do....what could I do, this is me, 'Mrs stupid about wildlife'(or in this case apparently not quite as wild as it should be....so I tore open a baguette and left said robin enjoying the feast for as long as I could spare to stand there just watching and marvelling at this tiny birds bravery. Yup, I made myself late but no matter, it was worth it......

....and not to miss an opportunity it seems, he was back again today, straight into the van, pecking at his fancy and waiting for me to do the honours and open it again for his delectation!

Amusingly if he carries on in this manner he is going to be in danger of being transported elsewhere in error, he has been in no hurry whatsoever to 'vacate the premises' thus far and on both occasions has required a gentle but persistent 'shoo-ing' away when I needed to leave! :o)

0 Comments: