Those among our number who are bright enough to be involved in the research of the mind have long insisted that our brains take in and 'record' every single piece of information we encounter, be that visually, audibly, by experience,
by our intention to learn or by any other form of stimulus. Everything goes in, our mind remembers it all, it is only our ability to recollect that information that is at fault.
Our skills in dragging from the depths of our mind the appropriate information, if and when we need it, are somewhat lacking when compared to the human hard drive facility it seems.
So why then, when recalling the simplest of facts is necessary on a day to day basis we often fail dismally and yet, when we least expect (or need) it, suddenly something small is so evocative that our powers of recollection begin to run on overdrive!
Earlier this week I happened upon something from my past, it was unintentional and unexpected, it was only a small find, something barely tangible but *BANG*, in an instant and without warning I was transported back to that time.
It had been a happy time, one of my happiest, if not the happiest.... and there I was suddenly re-living it, completely lost in the sights, the sounds, the smells and the emotions involved. The whole shebang hit me in such minute detail and with such force that for a short while I felt I was there, that I could reach out and touch those moments again. I could recall every aspect of the situation and circumstances and all with such unbelievable breathtaking clarity that the here and now faded away into temporary obscurity. I was utterly taken over by the power of the memory and it's intensity..... and all triggered by just one small find.
Our minds are sometimes amazing, the power with which we can recall certain things is astounding..... particularly in these days, when as a '40 something' my usual recall abilities dictate that it is not uncommon to struggle, for instance, to remember even the name of a film I saw only last week!
Wednesday, 18 April 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment