Thursday, 5 October 2006

The morning routine

One of the many things I'll miss when Tilly is no longer part of my day to day life is our 'first thing in the morning' routine. Every day begins the same and despite my not being one of life's morning people I have grown to enjoy, nay almost look forward to, our days beginning.

We wake long before the rest of the household at somewhere between 5.30 and 6 am, or rather Tilly does which in essence means that I do too, if I should fail to be compis mentis at the required hour a few minutes sitting on my head and chewing my hair resolves that to madams satisfaction!

We creep downstairs together, I trying to find my way without waking anyone and she investigating if she can access my parents bedroom on the sly en-route. On reaching the kitchen/living room Tilly takes up residence by the back door 'asking' insistntly to be allowed out whilst I try, in my sleepy state, to turn the kettle on for the all important strong cup of fresh coffee and to negotiate the key into the door lock.

Having carried out the key maneuver Tilly leaps over the threshold and into her territory, excited by the days possibilities and waking birds while I deal with the business of coffee making and finding a cigarette....and then our morning really begins.

I park myself on a step overlooking the lawn and somewhat wild bordering hedges while inquisitive cat begins her early checks for interlopers and any interesting looking slugs, worms or other slow moving possible prey. She paddles happily through the dew laden grass chirruping to herself and intermittently running back up the steps to me to say hello and insist on a quick stroke....Before she goes off again.

For my part I love sitting there in the quiet, I can hear the birds coming too, Tilly shuffling about in the bushes chattering away merrily in her excitement to herself and the sound of the locality gradually coming to life. It's a special me and Tilly time, a time when I can reflect on life quietly and try to haul my mind into some semblance of order for the day ahead, a time when there is just me and madam quietly together going about our waking up procedures and enjoying one another's company.

I can't imagine sitting there alone in the mornings without her carrying-ons to amuse me and her little furry feline-ness to keep me company.

0 Comments: