So yesterday was the day of the dreaded dental visit, for whilst I have been unable to secure for myself a place with a dentist for the last seven years....I didn't actually have a great wish to visit one, just a need to. The fact that I couldn't did have a positive side in that I wasn't forced to look the demon drill in the eye and handle the gut wrenching fear it instills in me!
But yesterday was the end of the line and with a broken tooth to attend to and my father as moral support off I went looking considerably more cheerful than I felt about the whole process.
Dentistry requires way more trust in an individual I have never met than I would usually consider it wise to show but my ignorance of the subject requires, like most of us, that I offer myself up like a lamb to the slaughter, close my eyes and hope for the best whilst trying not to notice my sweating palms, banging head and impending panic attack.
And thus it was, almost upside down and braced for the worst the guy could hit me with that amazingly I survived....yup, I am still alive and more amazing even than that is the fact that this torturous appointment was in fact not torturous at all! More specifically it was a walk in the park, it didn't hurt one iota, he didn't pull my mouth in that way that feels like one is competing in an international gurning contest and there was none of the prodding with heinous tools of torture in the darkest recesses of my mouth!
The guy was a star, completely understood my fear and worked with me on it, the whole incident was over in a few minutes and my confidence that I can cope with the next stage is boosted.....for there is a next stage to be faced. One crown and one filling, not bad after seven years of no treatment but whilst I can't say I am exactly looking forward to it I will perhaps sleep the night before the next time.
All that remains is to raise the £300 for the bill. Of course whilst I am in receipt of benefits I could claim reimbursement for treatment but not for the most appropriate treatment of my problem. That of course is not covered, so as ever seems to be the way if I want the job doing properly I'm gonna have to pay up and look happy.....hey, it will be worth it, the treatment offered on the NHS is liable not to last too long and £300 to only have to do this the once seems a bargain.
However less of a trauma it was than I imagined, a visit to the dentist will remain in my top ten list of things I wouldn't choose to do for fun but it was considerably more bearable than my little mind envisaged! :o)
Thursday, 3 August 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment