Friday, 21 July 2006

Let me sleep!

Since the advent of Tilly in my life a good nights sleep has not been something that I can take for granted by any stretch of the imagination.....if she's not dancing around the bed as I try to fall off to sleep then she's lying on my head at 2am 'pawing' vociferously in a somewhat uncalled for show of affection, 'washing' (which incidentally pulls like hell) my hair at 3am or on one occasion recently, biting clean through the chain on my neck for amusement! If all else fails, since she was a kitten she gives me a regular 'loving' wake-up call at around 5am in her desperation to have a cuddle.

As time has gone on some of her nocturnal activities have improved, the hair washing is less frequent and the wake up call is only intermittent but still, my once easy ability for sleep evades me. Of late my new lifestyle and it's incumbent hassles have produced that annoying scenario, the one we all know, the damn annoying delight that ensures the moment one's very tired head hits the pillow a myriad of thoughts begin to race around inside of it unendingly, the kind of 'white noise' of night time thoughts that ensures sleep will not be possible.

Add now to that, the small fact that my bedroom is on the third floor, heat rises of course and the external temperatures of the low 30's in recent days have, despite all my efforts at reduction, managed to climb into the very high 30's overnight in my room, further ensuring that sleep will not be had....and it's beginning to bug me now. I have spent the last two nights wandering like a lost soul around the house, pillow and book in hand and cat at my heels looking for a cooler space, to no avail whatsoever, and I can barely recall a night in the last few months that has afforded me more than maybe two or three hours of sleep for one reason or another. Albeit I'm not working so I perhaps don't need copious amounts of rest it's beginning to catch up with me now....and it's frustrating, and I just don't like it!

Please, let me sleep, just one whole, uninterrupted night!!!

On the upside, it has meant that for the first time in years I have read a book, The Da Vinci Code, from cover to cover :o)

1 Comments:

Bert said...

Doesn't work for everyone but I find valerian tablets (sometimes come with hops) help me sleep. They don't make you sleep but they calm the mind from those racing thoughts thus allowing you to sleep. They smell horrible though...you can get them at Boots or any chemist.