Tuesday, 13 June 2006

Tilly in town!

So, I thought this morning, as Tilly performed her usual 5am alarm function (and I swore quietly to myself, ok maybe not so quietly) that it is about time I updated you on her progress, for all this upheaval has also affected her.

In the first instance she deserves a small medal for her new found ability to travel! Never having been in a car for longer than ten minutes previously, she behaved marvelously on the ten hour drive to London the day I departed. She cried for perhaps the first few minutes and then not a sound did she utter, other than to purr when we stopped and she was released from her carrier to stretch her little legs and have a cuddle.

Fly hunting

Once arrived at my parents (at something well past midnight) she was a little confused, new people, new place and no Ditto to torment. It took her maybe a week to really begin to find her suburban feet, a week of crying every time I left the room and a week of looking slightly lost and confused at times but she's now beginning to really settle in. She has her new routines in place, she has discovered that my mother is easy to manipulate with a 'certain look', she has an old child's high chair positioned by the window (there are no sills) so she can watch the birds to her hearts content, she has already procured her own little places in the sun and on the sofa and I, having decided it was time she learnt to go out and play and having completed two weeks of 'familiarization' on a harness, yesterday, took the bull by the horns and let her 'out to play' alone, albeit with my heart in my mouth.

But, as someone promised me she would, ok I knew that but hey I'm her mum I worry, she came home all by herself! Success! She had a ball, it seems that her hunting skills have yet to progress further than small insects but small insects can be immense fun for a small cat!

Famous last words I know, I'm not tempting fate but it's looking good. It seems Tilly's naturalisation is almost complete and whilst I'm sure her new home all still seems a little odd to her now and again, she is well on the way to learning to be a town cat.

0 Comments: