Sunday, 16 April 2006

Nowt so strange as folk!

It goes without saying that retail and Easter are not good news, never have been never will be, it's the point at which Joe Public seems to completely lose the plot one way or another each year in my line of retail and this year promises to be no different!

Over the years I have encountered many an indication of mans (that's the human race not a sexist remark incidentally) inability to behave rationally from the moment they walk into a store. I have been shouted and screamed at, insulted, had things thrown at me, been assaulted and threatened, asked out for dinner (and one or two other less appealing options) and asked to perform all manner of odd things, most of which seemed to fall well outside the usual remit of someone employed in customer service!

Ah, but yesterday one of the oddest presented itself to me.

I was approached by a man, maybe a few years younger than myself with partner and small child in tow, who asked me if I had a pair of tweezers. Stupidly I assumed he meant for purchase so informed him that no, not an item we stock. His response was that he didn't want to buy and, just borrow them....had I got a pair of tweezers he could just borrow. Um........., let me think about that one.....no I told him, sorry but no.

He persisted. Ok I thought, I'll check out the first aid grab bag and see if I can find this guy some tweezers.....four bags later and having navigated the entire store, still no tweezers.

I returned to my customer with this sad news but still he persisted so I asked him what exactly he needed this implement for so desperately, in the vain hope that I could find some other way to help.

I wish I hadn't asked for he began to regale me with details of an ear infection he was currently suffering and that he had further exacerbated the problem buy stuffing a piece of cotton wool so far into his ear that he couldn't now retrieve it! I was about to suggest that he make a trip to A&E when he leant toward me, ear proffered rather too close to my face and said "maybe you can just hook it out with your finger nail for me"!

Ummmm.......aside from any legal first aid implications, I think not! How delightful and why the hell was his wife/partner stood next to him not being subjected to this heinous almost irresistibly tempting offer, rather than myself?!

Yup, nowt as strange as folk.....I've had some offers I was happy to decline in the past from customers but this one has to be one of the less tempting!

Having made my point, I thought suitably, and having offered advice regarding the local A&E department I thought the whole 'ear' business was over but that wasn't to be the end of it, twice more he returned to me asking for my assistance and twice more I declined politely. A third tie might have forced me to be a little less gracious but thankfully he finally got the message and wandered off, wife and child still silently in tow with a huffed look on his stupid face like somehow I had not fulfilled my duties in the line of customer service!

Hmmmmmm.......gimme the guys that shout in preference anytime....I can 'do' shouting I can't 'do' ears!

HAPPY EASTER! ;o)

0 Comments: