Friday, 31 March 2006

A little extreme maybe?

My revered place of work is on an economy drive recently it seems, the usual stuff, combat shrinkage, use less of this and that, don't waste things unnecessarily, that's all good, the tree hugger in me approves, no problem, I'll happily comply.

As in most businesses of this size fuel costs are high and so have been addressed, again the usual things, turn off unwanted heaters, lights etc. and yes it makes a difference, leaving a whole floor of lighting on overnight when no one needs it is a terrible waste not to mention cost. The electricity usage and charges alone for this building would make your hair curl.

What has amused me is this. I have become accustomed to rushing into the toilet or cloakroom and finding I'm in the dark, the managers office is at the far end of the corridor and each time he walks along it he pokes his hand through every door and turns off the lights but yesterday he surpassed himself.

I had cause to visit his office, (no not to take ownership of my P45 pity) and as the lights were off and the room was in complete darkness I assumed he wasn't in residence, imagine my surprise having bowled thought the door into the dark to then find him sitting at his desk! Hmmm, I thought, show concern, he must have a headache, the lights are maybe broken but on making enquiries as to the reason for this rather strange behavior I was informed, perfectly straight faced that he was saving electricity!

Ok, joke I thought, but further questioning proved it to be otherwise, straight up, he was working in the dark to save electricity, there are no windows no nothing, ........maybe just a little extreme!?

What next, perhaps I'll find him working by candle light tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Gudmans Dautter said...

nope--wastes wax!!