Friday, 16 December 2005

Growing up

The tiny wee baby kitten, barely weaned, that we bought home with us not yet even two months ago now known deservedly as 'Tornado Tilly' among the more polite 'handles' she acquires from time to time, is most definitely no longer such a baby!

Tiny!


Yesterday saw her penultimate routine visit to the now dreaded vets for her final vaccination. Her attitude to these visits has changed radically since the time she first attended when in her naivete she assumed this was just another place of play! Three hypodermics later and she is well aware that an escape route should be sought at all costs! That said she is still small enough to wrestle relatively easily into the required position for the onslaught of the dreaded needle.

The vet is particularly fond of her, always enamored of her white tail tip, always threatening to kidnap her and never missing a chance to have a cuddle before duly getting on with the technical nastiness.

When we first bought her home she weighed 0.6 kg, two weeks later 0.9, a little after that 1.1 and yesterday 1.6, she is growing rapidly, her obs. are good and she is now fully vaccinated allowing her medically safe access to the great outdoors.......not that she is going to be getting over the threshold for some time yet!

Adolescent and catching up



We have an ongoing 'discussion' on this topic here in gemmak's-ville, for the first part I think she is too tiny still to be out alone in the big bad world, yes I know, I'm a worrier but this is my 'baby', we childless women eh? and for the second part I don't wish to encourage an 'oh, we're expecting kittens accident'! Thus far and for a time yet it is not a concern but I would hate to miss the signs that things are 'afoot' in her little body and discover too late that some old tom cat has 'violated' her!.

This is were there is a difference of opinion, PG would love to have 'Tilly kittens' and whilst the prospect has it's attractions for me, he seems to be rather less than realistic about the fact that we live in a one bedroom flat, I would never be able to give them up and it would doubtless be me carrying out most of the 'practicalities' anyway!

In the meantime I have taken a leaf out of Joanna's book and acquired a tiny harness and lead in an attempt to give her a little taste of the bigger picture. I have been this route before but unlike Joanna and Willow, without success, and it's looking dangerously like it will be a less than a successful solution again on this occasion, for despite all attempts at persuading her to walk when bound in this contraption, all she wants to do is practice her Houdini impression.......... or lie on her back playing with the lead!

2 Comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Every now and then, I have seen cats who follow their humans obediently without leash. There is one in this neighbourhood.

BTW, we are having a very nice snow here. Just thought you would like to know that little thing.

gemmak said...

Anvilcloud: Gemmak used to do that, she would go a long way following :o)

Lol @ the snow thing....hmmmmm, where's mine? heh