Wednesday, 7 December 2005

Animal lover??

PG and I were presented with a real quandary early this morning and one which we failed dismally and ashamedly to deal with effectively.

Himself was just stepping out side the door on his way for a round of golf, please note here: yesterday he was suffering the usual severe effects of man-flu when golf was not an option, today he has kindly passed it onto me whilst he 'manages', despite his severity of suffering, to make it to golf! But I digress.....

So, he was just stepping outside when I noticed on our access balcony something unusual, a second glance showed it to be a large rabbit! This is stranger than you might think, to gain access to this point said rabbit would have had to climb 15 slippery and frost ridden steel stairs, a feat of some endurance considering it was all too apparent that this poor rabbit was suffering myxomatosis. The poor thing was huddled and shivering up against the wall of the property looking every bit as though he were asking for someone to help.

So how did we fail so dismally? PG and I looked at one another knowing full well what we should do but both also knowing that we wouldn't, despite wishing otherwise, be able to. What we should have done of course was killed it quickly and put it out of it's misery but when faced with the prospect we realised we had no idea how to whilst still ensuring the job was done well, as opposed to making the poor wee thing suffer further. In honestly though, even if we had the knowledge I don't think we could have done it, maybe if we owned a suitable firearm but the bare hands option I really don't think we could have managed.

Some animal lover eh? I feel like crap now about it, if I was truly the animal lover I profess myself to be I would have been stronger!

As it was we did all we could think of. We gathered it up and placed it gently in a warmer and safer place in the sunlight, near to some food should it be up to eating. Not much of a solution eh?. I did try to contact the only person I know who would have been able to deal with the situation correctly and well, but but he wasn't available.

PG went off to golf glum faced and I tried not to think about it but a short while later I stole myself to go back to where we had left the poor mite and reconsider if I could deal with it. I am a city girl, not a country girl, I just don't know how one kills a rabbit humanely but I thought that maybe the vet would attend to it if I could take it to him........but the rabbit was gone, not a sign. I hunted for it a while under the shrubbery and undergrowth but nothing, I couldn't find any sign of it. Now I won't ever know or be able to do anything and I feel even worse.........

Ugh! Useless woman!

0 Comments: