Monday, 14 November 2005

H.I.V. breakthrough?

Just for once there has been a report in the news that, albeit cautious, is good news!

The story is that of Andrew Stimpson, a 25 year old man in the UK, who having been diagnosed with H.I.V back in 2002 was found on further testing, to be free of the virus in 2003. I'm not remotely religious but if this is in fact a medical breakthrough it is as damn near a miracle as it gets for me. I don't see it as divine intervention but that just perhaps the human body in some cases, is learning to fight the H.I.V virus itself at last, after all, though I am not remotely medically qualified I do know that there is no cure for any virus but that the thousands that attack our bodies in a lifetime are fought off by our own immune systems.

Whether Andrew Stimpson's experience is a permanent one and why exactly it happened is yet to be determined by the medical profession but it does seem that the consensus of opinion is that he has a particularly healthy immune system and has healed himself.

Whilst that may not be the case for all individuals suffering this illness it may at least give those researching ways of combating it a new line of enquiry and assist in their finding a way to help sufferers in greater numbers. We may not have all the answers yet and it may not help those who have already been lost to this terrible virus, but it is a significant step forward and one that I can only help lead to a more positive future.

As for Mr Stimpson, he must feel like he has won 10 lotteries all at once and whilst he is likely to now become something of a human guinea pig he will have the pleasure of knowing he is helping in this fight, something I am sure he is only too happy to do.