Sunday, 16 October 2005

The walk is walked

It's done and here is the proof! We made the 8km in well under two hours. I'm not sure how long I expected it to take but somehow I didn't ever really think of that aspect and assumed it would take longer.

(Images clickable)

We all met at the designated spot, did the signing in stuff, listened to the words of an oncologist speaker and then off we set. The day was damp and overcast, a little

misty but then we were right next to the sea though it didn't rain and the temperature was about perfect for walking.

I'm not good at estimating numbers but maybe 150-200 people took part in this 'Stride for life' and everyone seemed to enjoy it. There were certainly moments of sadness or joy for some, depending on one's individual reasons for making the walk but a feeling of camaraderie and of a shared purpose prevailed.



The five of us who has organised to walk together soon became split up into two small groups, those with long legs who could walk fast and 'E' (a colleague of mine) and I who had shorter legs, in my case very short, who after a little while decided to walk at our own pace.....a 'pottering and chattering' pace!

We are lucky to live where we do, our route took us along
Berwick town walls next to the harbour and sea and then along inland


a little following the course of the
Tweed estuary and under the three famous bridges. It's odd how when one lives in such a beautiful place somehow the effort is never made to explore properly until a reason presents itself. There were so many beautiful things to see, everything from the ocean vista and beautiful historic buildings to the famous Mute Swan colony that has it's home on the estuary. I kinda made a pact with myself along the way that I must make more effort in future to go out there again when I have more time to 'investigate' and look around me better.

So that was it, we did it, 8km was not massively challenging, 'E' and I almost wished it had been a longer route. We were so enjoying ourselves we would happily have carried on but as it was we arrived back unscathed and

without so much as a sore foot between us, probably less likely had we had our way and been able to continue!

All that remains now is to collect the sponsorship money people have kindly pledged and the job is done. My contribution will be a mere drop in the ocean compared to the funds needed to beat breast cancer for good but hopefully it will help a little.



And for my friends 'M' and 'P'....... today was for you, go girls!

0 Comments: