I was directed this morning to a blog that frankly has made my blood boil but has also made me consider my own position.
I was given the link for an entirely different reason to the one I am now going to post about, I knew nothing of it's content previously but having read it, even at this early hour, my hackles are well and truly up!
The author of the blog in question has by their own choice moved from a city to the countryside, do you begin to see a parallel here, but seems to have very little good to say about their new surroundings, more than that, this individual displays a positively scathing and superior attitude toward those in the locality.
As one who moved from a big city into the 'middle of a field' myself I can understand the sometime frustrations of the reduced and far flung facilities, hell yeah, I miss not being able to have a pizza sent out or having access to galleries, theatre and retail therapy at a five minute drive but....and this is a very big but, there are also massive compensations.
Crime here is almost non existent in comparison with almost any city and that alone is something that makes for a more relaxed and less stressful existence. I live among some beautiful scenery, the stuff of postcards that many people only see 'once in a blue moon', I wake up to panoramic views every single day that many can only dream of.
There are now sights and sounds as part of my life's daily backdrop that I used to spend a fortune on holidays to experience, wildlife, weather changes, the ocean and green vistas that go on forever. Add to that the friends I have made and the community, that despite my being an incomer, has made me very welcome. I will never be a 'local', one has to have about 5 generations here to become that but none-the-less I feel 'at home'.
Sure, there are times that I have moaned and groaned about the down side but my point is this; having chosen to move my life from the city it is up to me to make a life here, no one forces me to be involved in the things I choose not too be and yes it is a different lifestyle to the one I was used to but, it takes time to make a life anywhere and to adjust. Rome wasn't built in a day!
One thing is for sure, publicly insulting the people and the lifestyle I chose to live among and who have accepted and befriended me will not aid my transition from city girl to country dweller and I sincerely hope I have never done that. Now and again I might privately expound on the aspects that I have found frustrating and I will admit to finding it hard at times to make the necessary adjustment but I hope that in the main I concentrate on the positives, of which there are many, and I certainly hope that I have never offended anyone of the people who allow me to live among them and have accepted me more than I ever imagined.
Coincidentally I had a short conversation with someone yesterday along these lines and 'post conversation' I was aware that I had been somewhat negative about some aspects of my lifestyle here.....who's fault is that I wonder? It seems to me it is mine, it is my responsibility to adjust not anyone else's!
One thing is for sure, there is nothing more guaranteed to alienate someone in my position and to hinder the settling in process than to 'bite the hand that feeds me'!!! Let's face it, I chose of my own free will to live here, no one forced me and no one forces me to remain....... insulting the way of life of others, just because it isn't what I am used to would be unhelpful, condescending and wrong.
Wednesday, 31 August 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment