I for my part kept my distance, partly out of a still remaining tad of guilt and partly out of an odd feeling that after all that had gone before I wasn't sure quite what to say to her on her departure. Another situation mis-handled methinks. I detest these 'difficult situations' and consequently practice well honed avoidance techniques from time to time, probably not the ideal solution but better than making a complete pigs ear of the situation.
I have made mental note to send her a 'new home' card and then with luck all this will be history. I might add though that she has only moved half a mile away so whilst she can't be perpetually on my doorstep there is a distinct possibility I have not heard the last of her.....or the cat killing dog!
Hey ho....for now that is a situation over or at least avoided and onto better things.
This evening we pottered off for fish and chips, this time t o be consumed on a hill overlooking the nearest small market town and not the beach. A treat indeed to eat (even if it was only fast food) with the panoramic vista below us, green rolling hills, the bright yellow of the rape seed fields and the Cheviots on the horizon. There are unfortunately no photographs, PG and I had a er...small 'difference of opinion' before we left regarding our intended destination and a Chinese take-away, his preference did not tempt me to pick up my camera. Some swift persuasion en-route allowed me my chosen fare but I was of course camera-less by then!
Having devoured said meal it was off for the evening to our friends, 'D'&'W', parents of 'K' and of course the new arrival Jaydon....what a boy, as a woman none too familiar with small people it never ceases to amaze me just how much they change in such a short period of time. Already he is a proper little boy, he is now also particularly cuddly 12 or so pounds, no longer a tiny wee thing with a floppy head that is rather scary to handle!
Among all of this cuddling and cooing 'D' made amused mention of PG's appearance. His normally very short, spiky and dyed one or another colour hair was nice, tidy, well groomed and abnormally long and abnormally 'normal'. " That looks like a toupee" was all that she uttered, much to our hilarity! A short conversation ensued, most of it aimed amusingly at PG who is normally quite proud of his still full head of hair and it's rather 'interesting' styles. He was less than amused and within minutes had instructed 'W' to cut it. The kitchen promptly became a salon of sorts and the two guys headed off, clippers and scissors in hand. I might add briefly here that 'W' is an engineer, not a hair stylist!
Half an hour later, among teasing and laughter, having fully expected the outcome of these antics to require a quick and complete shave of the head to rectify the situation, PG emerged....... with a decent haircut!!
'W', you missed your vocation man, pretty good for an engineer!

Haircut!


1 Comments:
I loved your story. (Again) I've had the pleasure of seeing the rape seed fields and I don't need to see pictures to remember the intense yellow that practically takes your breath away. Thank you for reminding me of the happy memory.
The haircut story was amusing. Since your husband has nice hair, I don't know why he would be so sensitive about being teased. Thankfully, the results were good.
I also like your new cat lady. She reminds me of the time that a patient started screaming because she thought that I was a cat. To her eyes, I must have looked something like that.
Post a Comment