Saturday, 7 May 2005

Not just any golf ball!


Strata.

I am, as you may or may not already know a 'golf widow'. This is not generally an issue, PG loves to play golf and for me it means frequent peace and quiet with no competition for the computer! Most day's come hell of high water, if his golf club is open, and rarely is the weather severe enough to close it, he can be found stick in hand, chasing a small white ball around.

The specifics and appeal of his chosen sport are lost on me, I could regale you with the usual phrases regarding spoilt walks etc. but I will resist. As I understand it he plays reasonably well, he plays off a handicap something in the region of 7 or 8 and is all very serious about the whole thing.

I have made one or two attempts at joining in but my apparent difficulty in making contact with that damn small ball only frustrated me and consequently I wandered around the course causing aggravation by giggling at the seriousness of it all, bird watching and talking to some rather pretty cows on the opposite side of the fence!

This golf club has many and various, mostly pedantic rules, one of which is no mobile phones, yet another thing PG takes very seriously. Imagine then my surprise when yesterday evening I received a text message from him, knowing full well he was playing in a competition! Good lord I thought, a small panic rising in my chest, this must be something serious......and it was, very serious stuff indeed!

PG, for the first time in his eight year golfing 'career', had 'scored a hole in one'!!!!....even club rules couldn't prevent him from sharing his excitement from the green and using his phone. Yayyyy for PG.

Please don't ask me the length of the shot or par for the hole....I have a tendency to become a little 'deaf' at that point in golfing conversations.

What followed it seems, was much of the hand shaking and back slapping that goes on in these strange male bonding sessions, though unfortunately as all those present were driving home later in the evening, the 19th hole saw less downing of celebratory Scotch than they would have liked.......doubtless that will be rectified before too long! :o)

And so....this little golf ball pictured above is not just any golf ball, it is the golf ball and we have to have it displayed along with his various other trophies now!

Why are those trophies always so hideous I wonder?

1 Comments:

Melissa said...

In the U.S., it is customary for the person who gets a hole in one to buy a round of drinks for everyone in the club. This can be an expensive proposition, so some people buy "hole in one" insurance. Is this a custom in Scotland?

I think that golf is a great hobby for men, too. It keeps them out of our hair.