Wednesday, 4 May 2005

Election fever

What seems to be most evident about election fever 2005 style is that there is none! In previous years that have heralded a general election there has been a tangible feeling of anticipation, excitement or at least the feeling of some important event pending, this year there is apparently none of that.

What there does seem to be however is a complete disinterest. The run up to an election usually elicits much political debate among the population, heated discussions in the workplace, pubs and bars, conversations over dinner and among friends and rivals, but I have witnessed none of that this time around. Not one single conversation have I been party too or overheard!

The lack of interest or care seems to be complete.....or perhaps it is merely the fact that the result would appear to be a foregone conclusion and most of us feel that what we have is what we will continue to be stuck blessed with. The rare mentions I have been privy too regarding tomorrows event, is from those saying that this time around they see no point in placing their vote for it will make little if any difference. A sad state of affairs.

In general elections that have gone before, whatever one's beliefs, leanings or political affiliations, this current apathy and feeling of hopelessness did not seem so readily apparent. Love them or hate them, the likes of of Margaret Thatcher, Harold Wilson and John Major at least instilled feelings of passion in the electorate and we awaited the outcome of our day of voting with interest.

By contrast election fever 2005 style, seems to be most noticeable in it's absence!

Not to be completely deterred by the apathy, I for one will make the trip to the polling station and whilst I suspect it will mean a disappointing Friday in gemmaks-ville, I can only promise that my little cross will most deffinately not be in support of TB and his 'merry band'!

0 Comments: