The store in which I work sells many very heavy items and as a consequence we offer a 'carry to car' service. This is not always as straight forward as it would seem, we frequently don't have a suitably strong member of staff available and it is amazing just how many apparently young, able bodied men will happily let a woman of my diminutive stature lug massive items to their car while they look on. .....did I forget to tell you that shop staff are generally considered to be a lower form of life by many? It is usual for our
The customer in question was a very nice and proper middle ages lady who entered the store carrying a Pekenese dog. We don't allow dogs to comply with health and safety law but it is not unusual for customers to think that by carrying the creature, they somehow circumnavigate the rules....it does not but we tend to turn a blind eye.
Anyhow, said dog carrying customer made a bee line for me and having attended to her purchases asked could I possibly carry them to her car for her. They were not heavy items but with her arms full of a dog so fluffy the back couldn't be distinguished from the front, she required help.
I duly complied and followed her to her car (parked at about the furthest possible point from the store) and was firstly slightly surprised to see this very proper lady driving a massive SUV. I loaded her purchases into the back of the vehicle and then went around the side to put one or two other items on the rear seat as I was asked. It was here that I became almost completely helpless with laughter, I tried, I honestly tried not to laugh but I failed dismally.....and what caused this hilarity? In the rear seat of the car was a baby seat, the full hit, the keep your baby completely and utterly strapped in safe kind of seat. Nothing too strange there perhaps.....but for the fact that snuggled down nice and safely in said seat was the dog! Thankfully my customer knew it was funny and laughed with me.....she explained the seat was theoretically for her grandchild though in reality it was the dogs seat! Well, she reasoned, the car sides are very high, he cannot see outside on his frequent journeys from the normal 'adult seating position'!
Maybe you had to see it, it was just such a funny sight.....I so wish I'd had my camera with me, or at least my phone, but sadly I didn't so you will just have to try and imagine the scene! :o)


2 Comments:
Loved your story. I also know what it's like to be treated like a lower life form at work. Some people mistake nurses for being their personal, lowly servants. I see it as being a test of character that some people fail.
I wish that I could find some kind of car seat for my 138 pound golden retriever. It would be safer for both of us, but restraint manufacturers apparently think that no one should have a dog that big. I've tried wrapping a regular seat belt around him, but he will not put up with that.
Mellisa: Thaks for stopping by :o)
I imagine nurses get very similar treatemnt to we retailers, if not even worse but I love the way you view it, I must remember that next time I am on the wrong end of some idiot :o)
My brother has a special dog harness that attaches to the rear seat belt, it wseems to work pretty well but his dog is not 138 pound. It's like our clothes, if one isn't a 'standard' size it's not catered for I suppose :o( Gah!
Post a Comment