Monday, 25 April 2005

Eye see

Last week, not before time, I at last took the proverbial bull by it's horns, braced myself, or rather my credit card, for the inevitable onslaught and visited an optician.

There was no question that this would be routine and that I would be sent packing with the result of an examination being 'no change'.....my eyes have been on stalks for months, I have tried every manoeuvre physically possible to find a tiny part of my current lenses through which to see adequately and all attempts have failed miserably.

And so it was, having had air puffed into my eyes, I hate that part and they do it three times nowadays, each time I jump like a fool, having read and re-read the same line of letters and had one light after another shone into my eyeball I emerged, watery eyed to a bill of almost £400. This apparently is not excessive according to the optician. After all she informs me, my choice is for state of the art, super lightweight, titanium frameless frames (is that not a contradiction?) and my lens prescription is complicated, wouldn't you know it. These frames I might add are identical to the one's I have been wearing for the last three years but apparently, despite the advertised strength of titanium, they dare not reglaze them for fear of breakage. Furthermore they will not insure them should they be reglazed. Gah, they have you every which way.

I accepted my fate, paid up and looked happy(ish) and today was summoned to collect this new eyewear.

How is it that something identical can be so different. My old glasses where kind of moulded to me, I didn't know they were there, the new ones of course feel like I am wearing someone else's shoes. I was er...'lucky' enough to receive the attentions of the one member of staff who appeared not to know what he was doing and I think a revisit tomorrow will be necessary to fit them properly! Then of course there is the aggravation that always occurs......I can't actually see out of these new lenses. I hate it, I know it's because my eyes are used to compensating for the wrong lens and they have to adjust to the new but that knowledge is no help right now, as I stumble around tripping over invisible things in my path and sit typing this with my head bobbing up and down trying to see the monitor! Heh.

0 Comments: