Thursday, 27 January 2005

Virtual 'thorn's in the side'

Some things have a habit of being particularly aggravating, not horrendously terrible just life's little 'bug bears', those things that make you go grrrrr despite one's powers of rationalisation knowing they shouldn't.

Two of these jolly little incidents greeted me this morning.

Firstly, for techie reasons I shan't bore you with, my email gave up the ghost, this required me to install new settings.....which I duly did, courtesy of Wanadoo, only to find that along with the operational stuff I required it also installed one of those aggravating search bars at the bottom of the outlook page. I hate them, if I wanted one I would choose to have one, I do not want one surreptitiously planted there via 'the back door' and I'll be damned if I can get shot of it! Any ideas on means of removal, from those more technically able than myself, would be appreciated.

My second aggravation was an email virus hoax, kindly sent to me by a friend, in all good faith. This hoax concerns a virus reported to arrive under the title 'A virtual card for you' which claims to 'destroy sector zero'. Yeah right! Check this one out here or here for further proof of it's stupidity.

I will never understand what pleasure some probably bright and technically savvy individual gains from these bits of idiocy....probably the fact that they get the likes of me spitting!.....so I won't, I'll stay calm, I won't react, or scream or shout or show any annoyance what so ever.......think calm thoughts......

....not working...arghhhh.....

8 Comments:

Rob Burton said...

Blimey whats happening up there. Got a bit of a shock I must say when I saw your topbar thingy, from Robin's on frosty branches to full sex on the beach! Have you been at the full malt?

gemmak said...

Lol Rob, you can take the blood pressure cuff off now, it's gone! Seemed to create more of a stir than I anticipated, I thought it was very tame stuff, just goes to show what thought did heh. :o/

p.s. I'm tee total!

jenny said...

Aw, I missed it. I must say though, that I understood not one word of this post :)

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Aww, you must have moved the sex on the beach before my MIL saw it - she reads you religeously. I'm sure I would have heard about it!

I have to get rid of about 14 search bars every time I reboot my computer. I have to go to tools - toolbar and "offclick" all the ones that mysteriously show up on my screen. Can you do that?

gemmak said...

Jenny/Scarlett/Rob: It's back by popular request! heh....Rob, put your cuff back on mate :o)

gemmak said...

Scarlett: Thank you for the advice but it doesn't work for this search bar...it's stuck fast! grrr.

Michelle said...

Yikes...sowwie Gem.....but like you said... the intention was good :)

gemmak said...

Hey, no worries Michelle, not your fault :o)