Living here in Scotland differs markedly in many aspects from my previous life in the south of England one of the most obvious differences being meteorological mayhem!
The UK's weather is renowned for it's ability to masquerade as summer one moment and winter the next and in Scotland that is more pronounced. The days are longer in the summer than those in the South and shorter in winter, we have greater rainfall, lower temperatures and in theory at least we have more snow but it is the wind that shows the greatest and most obvious difference.
The wind here is like nothing I have had the misfortune to experience previously, it seems almost constant and as the norm cannot be described as a 'light breeze'. Be it summer or winter it's windy!
The met. office today promised something for these parts in the way of wind above and beyond what I have grown used to and for once they got it right. We have wind, this is heavy duty, serious blowy stuff. Our flat is positioned on a hill with nothing in the way of land mass between it and the North sea and we are stuck, gable end on, to anything that it cares to throw this way. Granted there are 10 miles inbetween but those 10 miles seem to make little or no difference.
This is a wind of structural damage proportions, as I type there are branches of trees, dustbins and all manner of odds and sods flying about, the loft hatch is rattling continuously and I can hear the roof lifting with rather worrying frequency, apparently we have a roof specifically constructed to withstand the local meteorological delights but I am not entirely convinced. Ditto is sat on the windowsill looking gloomily out, having decided after a number of attempts that venturing out right now isn't an option and Poppy keeps pricking up her ears and looking about her at the unusual sounds.
Worse still, in these remote parts our power cables and phone lines are overground, which of course, given the current conditions, always carries the threat of a situation of far greater concern to me ......... losing my internet connection!!!!
Thursday, 6 January 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 Comments:
Lose the house, the husband, the car, the bed but NOT THE INTERNET!!!! : ) Later Jelly Bean! *HUGS*
Jack: No! heh.
TW: NEVER the internet :o) Laters JB.
We lost power for over 24 hours when the whole eastern seaboard went dark a year and a half ago. The only thing son and I cared about was the internet/cable connection. Pathetic eh?
Weather here sounds similar to yours, but I would visit my ancestral land if I could get my family to agree to a "cool" holiday.
How times have changed....5 years ago who would have thought that losing internet connection would have such an impact.
Its the same with our children..the prospect that my 11 year old was without her phone for an afternoon when she realised she had left it at home was a real show stopper for her....despite the fact that she was with her parents who both had mobile phones.
Was windy here this morning!...you should have seen my hair by the time I got to work!
Retroguy
Sounds like you've got marvellous kite flying weather up there ...lol... It's a bit on the windy side down here but nothing like as strong.
Paul.
Hello Jane,,Happy 2005,,(three months to retire),,
Aitch,,,,www.harryfielder.co.uk
Hello Jane,,Happy 2005,,(three months to retire),,
Aitch,,,,www.harryfielder.co.uk
Retroguy: Lol, indeed, how times have changed and how we show our age! There is little worse in techno-land than being without one's own phone! hehe. I betcha look good windswept too!
Snowbabies: Heh....far too strong for flying a kite, I tried the grown up kite stuff for a while....don't go there :o/
Aitch: Hiya matey, long time no see, glad to see you're up and about again.....3 months to retiring eh?, not just 'resting' this time then? hehe. Great to see you here Aitch and have a fantastic time in retirement. :o)
Post a Comment