Tuesday, 4 January 2005

Cat tales


Poppy ' Christmas unwrapping'

So Poppy made it into 2005, her 18th year..... and with a degree of aplomb for such an old lady. There was a time last year when I didn't think for one moment she would still be with us but she rallied and is still going strong, well ok, strong-ish.

She participated fully in the festivities, never one to miss the opportunity of wrapping paper or Turkey she made the most of it all. She played with her presents in a very demure fashion and was even seen 'rushing about' to the best of her ability. You know that 'kitten thing' the one where out of nowhere said kitten commences rushing about madly. Poppy occasionally still makes a valiant attempt and though it is now not so much akin an to an elegant feline in pursuit of prey. Her elderly hind legs no longer keep up with those positioned at the front end and consequently it require a larger degree of concentration to carry out maneuvers of such athletic excitement!

We had a sad moment a day or two before Christmas with the realisation that if we are realistic this was probably going to be her last, she can't go on forever and there is no doubt that her kidneys are slowly degenerating but she got this far and for that I am grateful.

My parents visit was a special treat for her, she is particularly fond of my mother and as hard as some may find it to believe, without doubt she still remembers her and makes the appropriate unending fuss of her.

Ditto on the other hand, if she continues in her current vein of behaviour, is unlikely to make it to 3 let alone Poppy's grand age. Cats in my experience are either 'scratchers' or 'chewers', Ditto is the latter and has long favoured the wires behind the television. We have erected 'cat-proofing' and all manner of other devices to keep her from them but still this morning, it was with a degree of worry, I discovered she has managed to bite through a mains cable! Arghhhhh.

We never leave the mains connected unless we are here for this reason, so given that she is still very much alive I assume she has done this deed when we have been absent. I am concerned somewhat for her future safety and thus now have to begin inventing further means of defence before something unmentionable happens!

5 Comments:

magz said...

there's a product here widely available (what jack mentioned, hi jack!) called Bitter Apple.. it's a clear non-toxic non staining spray that tastes REALLY bad.. used for everything from training, to stopping bandage chewing.. to keeping horses from nibbling each others manes and tails off..lol. very probably available semi-local for you, if not it's easily ordered online from any animal/vet supply place...
or.. if you dont mind a few red spots behind the electronics.. good old tabasco sauce works pretty well too....

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the part about your *mum* and the cat. I believe it, my birth mother and her animal grandchildren are proof of that! I promise to explain in a post. Chocolates in bed sound delightful! ta ta for now . . .

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

I used Bitter Apple on the 3 year old boy when he kept eating my books! Works great! It's commonly found in the baby isle - it was made to stop thumb sucking.

Mr. Math said...

Hey that cat must have an electric personality. Well hope you have fun with kitty defensive #? well who knows maybe you'll find the cure

gemmak said...

Lisa: Lol...I'll give her ornery!

Magz: Tabasco sounds a good place to start...cheers :o)

TW: Look forward to the explaination :o)

Michelle: Apparently being 'indoor' cats helps the longevity according to my vet, who knows, praps I've just been lucky, gemmak got to 19!

Scarelett: Good plan, will try that with th tabasco!

Mr Math: I just hope she doesn't become too electric! :o/