Friday, 10 September 2004

Miscellaneous mumblings


'Cloudless blue sky in gemmakville'

If the weather holds for today, and it looks promising, that will be three entire days of unbroken sunshine we have enjoyed. For a British summer that's pretty impressive and all complaints will cease from this point on!

I did a modicum of spring cleaning, or should that be autumn cleaning?, just doesn't have the same ring does it,here last night and removed some dead blogroll links. They were swiftly replaced with a few new one's. Gone it seems are the early days of living in the blogosphere, when my blogroll was short and sweet, there are so many good blogs out there. I'm gonna have to use a smaller font before long or risk litigation from those suffering RSI whilst attempting to navigate through it!

My original and enduring list of favorite blogroll residents still remains and joining them now are Justitia, Road to pregnancy, Number Wann and Beyond Northern Iraq. The latter is the blog of BBC world affairs journalist Stuart Hughes, who in April 2003 unfortunately made the headlines himself. The guy is an inspiration and his posts are always interesting stuff.

Should you have a spare moment in your blogosphere travels take a second to visit 'getblogs', a new (ish) blogring set up and run by a guy in Canada, he is working hard to 'make it happen' and deserves the attentions of the multitudes! :o)

Off now on a completely different tangent.

Yesterday in my small corner of Scotland, where people are few and crimes even fewer I was victim of an amusing if aggravating theft! Don't rush of and alert Reuters please, this was the unlikely theft of my dustbin. Here, where council tax is high and services few the 'bin men', or as they are now prefer to be titled the 'refuse technicians', do little more than put your 'already deposited at the correct point 500 yards up the road', bags onto the truck.

It is the 'depositing in the correct place' bit that miffs me. We have to drag copious amounts of refuse a considerable distance to comply with this rule and yesterday by the time I had arrived at the designated spot I was knackered (no reference to age please). In my near state of collapse I abandoned the bin temporarily for rescue on my returning visit. In those few minutes someone helped themselves to it! Strange in the first place because there are few people here and even fewer at 7.30 in the morning.

Suffice to say, memories of residing in Manchester and London where real crime is part of daily life left me temporarily and myself and two neighbours, in a state of over reaction at this minor misdemeanor, set about hunting the bin....to no avail.

I duly and rapidly typed and laminated a terse notice and stuck it on the wall requesting the return of said item and then forgot about it. At 7 am this morning I was woken by a phone call from an excited neighbour announcing the return, overnight, of the item in question. My faith in human nature is restored but on a more serious note I was reminded just how lucky I am to be living in a place where 'bin theft' is noteworthy. It never dawned on me just how much stress living in a city with it's attendant crime levels subjected me to until I escaped!

5 Comments:

Mrs Wann said...

Thanks for including me in your Blogroll!

I totally agree with your city versus country crime comments since living in east london amongst other things we have had a bicycle stolen and our van broken into twice. Witnessed a burglary and the theft of a car from a pertol station forecourt by 2 15 year olds one of whom ran over the car owner in the process. Sadly the criminals all seem to be under the age of 18 and the police do very little to respond, in the case of the car theft we provided photos of the whole event but they still did nothing.

Not all of London is like this, the east ois very poor and poverty begats trouble. We will keep on keeping on until our budget allows us to move.

Snowbabies said...

I'm surprised our bin hasn't gone missing before now, sometimes I've found it half way down the road but usually, it there at tea time, along with next doors waiting to be dragged back in. Lovely picture :-) It's a little dull here today, hope your still holding on to that sunshine!

Dale said...

What is it with you and trash bins lately Scottie??!! Cor! LOL!

magz said...

jeez... different countries, different stles i guess... here... it's nearly impossible (at least in the city) to get Rid of a trashcan... ever tried throwing away an old battered up one? the 'refuse engineers' just keep putting it back on the curb..... course in the country, ya just take em to the dump, where more people are picking stuff up then droppin it off. mornin flower!

gemmak said...

Mrs Wann: Sadly the East end has its fair share of problems, as do most inner city areas. The police i think can't do anything in many cases rather than don't courtesy of the restraints placed upon them. Hope your finances take you where you wish soon :o)

Menina: hehe....bin thief! :o)

Blackrat: He he @ 'wheelie wheelie@ Lord know what people do with them all, it's beyond me! Thankyou for the theoretical sweetie, it's the thought that counts :o)

Snowbabies: Nope.Summer is over, was nice while it lasted.

Magz:Lol and mornin' petal....it's 19.30 hrs here but I get your drift! lololol.