Wednesday, 8 September 2004

The human spirit

Yesterday was a long day.

PG finished work at 2.30 and we made our way the 80 miles South to visit his father in hospital.

It was surreal day. We where of course prepared for the sight that is ITU, the myriad tubes, pipes and numerous items of high tech equipment that currently support his father but I somehow hadn't expected to be unable to quite equate this man, completely at the mercy of machines, with the man I know. In some ways we were relieved, he was comfortable and appeared peaceful. I had expected agitation as is often the case but there was none. He had a good colour and despite all the technology surrounding him the unit was bright airy and new and an atmosphere of calm was very evident.

His condition is slightly improved thankfully, though not in any way perceptible to anyone other than a professional. His sats and blood pressure have improved and remained stable, his heart rate is nearing normal and he has short periods now of consciousness and appeared to recognise us. There is of course a very long way to go and we are not complacent but for now things are looking very slightly better.

We in the U.K are used to hearing nothing but dire predictions and horror stories of the NHS. Good news is not news as they say but I have to beg to differ where my own experience is concerned. I and those close to me have had need of the service on maybe more than our fair share of occasions over the years and have, without exception, had excellent and prompt attention. That of course does not detract from the importance of the incidents where the system fails but I am constantly struck by the fact that those working within the service are dedicated, professional hard working and highly skilled individuals but who are ultimately like you or I....human beings and fallible. I don't envy them their job. I for one would not like to be in the position of making life and death decisions on a day to day basis with the inherently attached impact that has on others. PG's father is receiving care of very high calibre, at a staffing ratio of 2:1 and with equipment available to him that beggars belief. All this at a moments notice and at the point of delivery, free.

Standing at his bedside trying to think of things to say, unsure if he is hearing I felt humbled by the human spirit and it's contradictions. One one hand life seemed so fragile, in a moment changed forever, circumstances in an instant rendering an individual completely helpless and dependent entirely on technology and the help of others. On on the other hand fighting still, despite the odds, strangely strong in the face of such adversity.

Against massive physiological trauma the human body and spirit still fights for life with all it's got!

4 Comments:

magz said...

thanks be to a place to put this kinda stuff, eh red? bless the bloggods... at least it's a forum for organizing the unorganizable. manymany good thoughts your way... we love you

Dale said...

He's in my prayers, Scottie. Thank goodness for the National Health!
You know, it's believed that the sense of hearing is the very last to shut down. Even if a patient is comatose, evidence suggests he can still hear. Talk to him, Gemmak. Let him know you're both with him. And I'll be there too.

Anonymous said...

You're in my thoughts.

gemmak said...

Thank you Magz, Dale and True Willow for your kind comments, I'm very touched and appreciate them. :o) I think you're right Dale, hearing remains and it is important to talk to someone in that position.


And Magz ...yup thank the bloggods!