Thursday, 12 August 2004

Justification or not??

I came upon this a few days ago in the comments on beFrank.

As yet I have made no real comment and despite the owner being apparently articulate and polite I'm still slightly confused over the motivation of someone from outside the counter-culture seemingly asking for, or requiring justification from ourselves on what we do. I say 'apparently' here because within 2 posts the individual concerned had made a post that I imagine was designed in the main to get a reaction.

Is the answer not for him or her, incidentally this person has a hidden profile so we know nothing about them,to blog properly themselves to find out why we do it?

I'm not sure I want or need to justify myself, am I being over sensitive here? Go look see.....feedback appreciated.

13 Comments:

BeFrank said...

I think you're right to be sensitive about this. I felt the request that was made on my blog was ill-manered and chose to ignore it for the most part.

I felt used. Yet, even if the reason for asking for the information was part of some hidden agenda, it didn't seem to be a situation that needed attention. I saw it as a form of spam. Something unavoidable in a fairly public forum.

At any rate, I'm confident in my resources if I ever needed to actually find out something about this person.

It's actually a news thing. You don't draw attention to a nutcase by reporting it. If someone pulls a stunt like threatening to jump off a building, it doesn't get put on the news. Why? Because, then you'd have more people threatening to jump off buildings. Just to get the attention.

Oops, sorry. I forgot I was on your blog. I was writing like I was on mine.

magz said...

yup, i go 'long with that analysis bryan let's see if we've lured the wily mystery blogger out into the open... but after readin, i don't think i care to comment there, so.... MysteryBlogger? Enter, and Sign in please!

gemmak said...

Thanks for those comments.

I agree, my first thought was that to 'spam' like that on your blog was ill mannered and my second was that to give it any credence by bringing it out in the open was contrary to my gut feeling.....I was tho miffed enough to override my common sense! Women eh? Tsk!

The motives are questionable as far as I can see and I will not be legitemising it any further unless like Magz says we learn more.

Lol.....feel free to write like it's your blog Brian, you are very welcome, your words are always something well worth reading :o)

gemmak said...

Well said Astrantia, I was slightly amused that he/she chose to do whatever it is they are attempting by blogging!!!

There are indeed all sorts of individuals in all walks of life and all forums, why should blogging be any different. The reasons people choose to blog are myriad and I'm sure our anonymous 'friend' could work that out without effectivly spamming. Like I say the motivation seems questionable.

Dale said...

Uh-oh. Guess I fell into the trap. I felt obliged to offer our friend a comment. T'weren't much really. But let's not squander any more precious time on him. Bryan's right. We're all right. We're alright. We all write.
Period.

magz said...

GOOD GRAVY GERTIE... WE HAVE CREATED A TRUE 'BLOGMONSTER' IN DALE, EH? GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY....OH, AND MORE THOTS ON THE 'DUDE' (OR 'DUDETTE) MYSTERIAN... I DO A CHATROOM NOW N THEN THATS GEEKS N GUNS... AND THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEBODY COMIN IN SAYIN 'GUNS ARE BAD! ALL GUNNUTS SHOULD BE SHOT (WELL, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) AS MONTY PYTHON WOOD SAY... SPAM N SPAM, AND SPAM, AND SPAMSPAMSPAM

Terri said...

I guess I'm late in coming in here and went through as many posts and comments as I could muster. My personal feeling? We've got a person here looking for attention and a reaction. Anytime someone comes along and demands you defend yourself under the guise of wanting to understand...well, that's hardly how you go about trying to understand something now is it? There is no real desire to understand. first, what's to understand? You do it if you enjoy it. You don't, you don't. I think the reasoning used by this person is nothing more than psycho-babble. Self important garbage. Sadly, seems like someone who has nothing else to write about so they are confrontational. There are many different reasons for writing, practice is one.

Here, why not my reason, is another: "Cory Doctorow explains how blogging has given direction and reward to his "knowledge grazing," creating a repository that helps him connect the dots in the flow of information around him. This column is an excerpt from the upcoming O'Reilly book Essential Blogging"

Now, carry on.

Jennytc said...

If we think back to when we were 18 (always supposing, of course, that this is a genuine profile now being offered), isn't it normal at that age to be a bit 'self-important', a crusader, if you like, to get a bee in your bonnet and think you are going to change the world or make your mark on it? I feel the blog in question bears all the hallmarks of this aspect of youth and can't get that excited about it! My feeling at this stage is that there is nothing more 'sinister' than that.

Jennytc said...

P.S. I have just notice the delete comments bin is back, right by my comment! Is this an omen?? lol

Terri said...

Jenny, that is a very good point. Eighteen, as you said, (And, as you also said, IF in fact the profile is correct), is VERY young.

Ahhh...sweet youth.

gemmak said...

Jenny & Terri: I agree,(on the assumption that the profile is correct) I won't be posting but failing any further developments I think that's all there is to be said...Fin. :o)

gemmak said...

Jenny: I can see the trash icon by posts I make on other peoples sites..........just not on my own! lol Arghhhhh. Blogger seem to have abandoned me on this one so for now at least I just have to live with it, who knows, they might magically reappear.

Dale said...

I don't really. But thanks for the invitation. I hope you'll keep writing, though. You're quite good.